1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha YSP-1/YSP-800 & Amp combo possible??

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by ukguy4672, Oct 7, 2005.

Tags:
  1. ukguy4672

ukguy4672

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I am a bit of a newbie when it comes to all things audio so this might sound strange or silly even - but here goes anyway...

At present, I have regular B&W front L/R speakers and MA SFX surrounds which I use with my rx-v657.

What I want to do is get rid of the individual speakers+wires and replace them with a YSP-1 (which I have heard good things about) but still keep the connection flexibility that my amp provides.

So my question is, is it possible to channel the output from my rx-v657 to the YSP-1? If so, would there be any adverse affect on sound quality as opposed to my current set-up.

THE main reason I want to do this is to get rid of all those damn wires!!! The other half isn't too happy either and has threatened to take drastic action unless I sort it out!!

My own thoughts that this should be possible through one of the rx-v657 digital outs?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Would it not be cheaper to just route the cables under the carpet or into the skirting boards??

As good as the YSP-1 has been rpeorted to be I would dought it would be as goos as your current setup sepecially in stereo.

Maybe have a look at Yamaha's web site to find out about connection setup with a YSP-1.

3. Gary_W

Gary_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I had a YSP-1 for a few days. It went back to Costco.

Nice, wide front soundstage. Rear effects nowhere near as potent as having speakers there. Stereo performance absolutely rotten compared to a pair of speakers. Don't consider it without a decent sub.

In short, OK for movies (with sub), though still not as good as proper speakers. Forget it for music.

So it will cost you £700 ish for the YSP-1 and same again for a half decent sub. Alternatively, you can buy some fairly expensive dead flat wire and run invisibly under the carpet. Cannot imagine that costing you much more than £150 even for a sizable room and it will far outperform the YSP (In my opinion, of course).

Gary