1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha YSP-1 connecting DVD/SKY etc...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Sulis, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm very tempted by the YSP-1, wall mounted under a plasma, to avoid wires/obtrusive speakers (I just tried a friend's 5.1 speakers - AAD - very small, but still changed the feel of the room unbearably). But I'm a bit confused how I might connect all the DVD/SKY/PS2/Video boxes to it without getting into Wire Hell again.

Is there a simple, minimum cable way of connecting all these boxes and still have them about 8 feet away in the corner? And possibly having the sub in the corner, too?

Ta very much.

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,027
    Hello Sulis

A few questions:

Which DVD player?

SKY or SKY+?

What cable kit with your PS2?

Best regards

Joe

3. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
  4. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks, Cap'n. Looking at the User Guide from the Yammy site, it does look as though having DVD/PS2/Video etc. some distance from the YSP-1 and the plasma screen is going to involve vast amounts of cabling.

All the video signals have to go to the plasma separately, while all the audio has to go to separate inputs on the YSP-1, then 2 cables have to go from the YSP-1 to the plasma as well.

How irritating.

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,027
    Hello Sulis

Not necessarily so - I'd need answers to the earlier questions though before we can give you a definitive answer :)

Best regards

Joe

6. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry, Joe -

DVD player: Not bought yet, but was going to start with the Panny DMR-EH50 DVD/HD for general use, archiving SKY+. Might add a better DVD player for dedicated viewing if it seems worth it - general opinion is that HDMI players don't add that much except to the Pios.

SKY: SKY+ (upgraded to 160Gb)

Plasma: Panny 500HD (prob 37") - not bought yet, obviously

PS2: Not sure what connection it is, the 3 phono plug one... (this is not a big deal)

Crappy old video recorder for crappy old kid's stuff and a very worn out copy of Midnight Run...

And of course I'd like to connect my Mac PowerBook (or Mac mini, maybe) to at at some stage as well...

Hope that answers your questions... THanks.

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,027
    Hello Sulis

My 'choice' of DVD Recorder may be out-with your intended budget - so you may want to look for lower cost alternatives; I've suggested what I know/supply.

I trust this makes sense :)

DVD Recorder Pioneer DVR-920 (DVDR)- will require a unit with HDMI or DVI + Digital Audio Out.

PS2 - will require 1 x RGB SCART cable kit.

Mac Mini - will require 1 x Stereo Audio to Digital audio (optical) adapter.

Digital Video + Audio switcher - will require 1 x Gefen EXT-HDMI-241A (see http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=2590)

PlasmaTV/Display - will require a unit with HDMI or DVI Digital Video Input.

Connectivity:

PS2 - SCART RGB+LR Audio to SKY+.

SKY+ - SCART RGB+LR Audio to DVDR

VCR - SCART to DVDR

DVDR - HDMI + Optical audio to Gefen switcher.

Mac Min - DVI + Optical audio* to Gefen switcher.

(*Using Stereo to Optical adapter)

Gefen switcher - HDMI (Video) to PlasmaTV (or Display) + Optical Audio to YSP-1.

Cables:
    You will require 1 x 8m HDMI + 1 x 8m Optical audio between the Gefen switcher and your YSP-1/TV.

You'll use the DVDR as your video hub and only have to switch the Gefen switcher as and when you want the Mac on-screen.

The sub will require a separate cable from the Sub out on the YSP-1.

Best regards

Joe

PS The YSP-1 works well with a 42" Display - we've even done a couple on mobile 'trolley' stands for 'mobile' 5:1; there are three user definable set-ups in the YSP-1 so you can move it from room to room with ease.

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    sulis not meaning to ask a stupid question?
    but the Plasma you are considering has built in speakers already and if the room is small and wont take a regualr small 5.1 system is having 2 speakers in the plasma and then a YSP1 underneath a bit odd? the YSP1 is very good but not sure it is the ideal partner for a PV500.....

9. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks, Joe - that's about as comprehensive an answer as you could ask for! Looks like there are some advantages to HDMI... :)

HD - it's not a stupid question. We've been borrowing a spare 5.1 system from a friend. It's not even wired up yet, but Er Indoors has decided she doesn't like 'having all these speakers looking at me'. It's not a tiny room (19' x 15'), but because it's got a lot of old features even these small sats really stand out.

I'm definitely interested in the new HD Vieras, as I can't wait until September for a G8 panel. I know they have built-in speakers, which is fine for CeeBeebies, the News, etc., but if the YSP-1 is the only way to get 5.1-ish sound, then I'd better look into it!

I'm assuming that there's no way to get a reasonable 5.1 sound using the built-in speakers and a couple of rears...?

Another option would be the Onkyo CB-SP1200, don't know if it'll be in the UK at all...

10. alanrowell

alanrowell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7