• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Yamaha Ypao volume ??

panman40

Distinguished Member
On previous Yamaha receivers I've had they had 'Dynamic range control', useful at night perhaps. On my RXV- 777 it has 'Ypao volume', this is off until an auto setup is run then it's on.
My question is what's it doing ?, I notice you can't select DRC unless Ypao volume is turned on, i don't use DRC but notice a slight increase in volume using Ypao volume.

Thanks for any shedding of light and apologies if it's already been covered.

dante01

Distinguished Member
There are actually two options that relate to Dynamic Range. There's the standardised DRC which only applies to DTS and Dolby Digital encoded content and there's Yamaha's own Adaptive DRC which is applicable to all audio sources. The Adaptive DRC is applied relative to the master volume level. The closer the master volume to the relative 0db then the less the compression is upon the dynamic range. This is because the closer to reference your output then the less you'd need DRC.

Dynamic Range is the scale between the quietest aspects of the audio and the loudest. If you decrease the master volume below the level the audio was mixed then you increase the chances of losing the quiestest parts of the mix. DRC compresses this range, rasing the volume of the quietest aspects to try make them audible even at lower volume levels below the reference level they were mixed at. It increases the volume of the quieter aspects while leaving the louder end of the range untouched.

Last edited:

panman40

Distinguished Member
So the standardised DRC is "YPAO VOLUME" under the Options button ?. I never use the DRC and if YPAO VOLUME has a similar effect even if only for DTS and DD I will turn it off.

dante01

Distinguished Member
YPAO volums has nothing to do with DRC. There are two settings that do relate to DRC and those are the DRC setting and the Adaptive DRC setting. I'd suggest using the Adaptive DRC setting rather than the standard DRC setting because the Adaptive Setting is applicable to all audio sources. Adaptive DRC can be used irrespective of YPAO and works whether you are using YPAO PEQ or not.

YPAO Volume is something used to adjust frequencies in relation to the volume level and has nothing at all to do with Dynamic Range adjustments. It alters the EQ filtering relative to the master volume. YPAO Volume can only be applied if YPAO PEQ filtering is engaged because it relies upon this filtering for its functionality.

Last edited:

panman40

Distinguished Member
I think that was what I asked in my first post. I know exactly what DRC does and that can only be turned on if YPAO volume is first set to on. it was YPAO Volume that was new to me. Even if I do not select manual, flat, front or natural peq and use 'Through' I can still turn on YPAO volume from the menu.
So, say I choose flat peq after running auto setup it's better to leave YPAO volume set to ON ?.

dante01

Distinguished Member
You asked about DRC and associated DRC with YPAO Volume. YPAO volume has nothing to do with DRC. There are seperate settings to deal with the dynamic range. The PEQ setting can be anything you want in relation to either the standard DRC or the Adaptive setting. These settings have nother to do with PEQ or YPAO. DRC settings are not dependant upon YPAO or PEQ. The YPAO Volume setting relates to something other than DRC.

The YPAO Volume is not an adjustment of the DRC and is an adjustment of the EQ relative to the master volume level. This setting is reliant upon the YPAO PEQ results calculated after calibration so you have to have any one of the PEQ options in operation if wishing to use YPAO Volume. It will not work if using the Through option.

The standard DRC, Adaptive DRC and the YPAO Volume settings are all independant of one another and only the standard DRC and Adaptive DRC settings relate to DRC.

panman40

Distinguished Member
If YPAO volume has nothing to do with DRC then why is Adaptive DRC not selectable when YPAO volume is off ?, that suggests to me they have to be linked in some way.
I have Dynamic Range set to maximum, that wasn't what I was referring to though,
Anyhow it's not a problem I just leave it on.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Adaptive DRC should be selectable without any need to engage YPAO Volume. The two settings are independent of one another. Yamaha do suggest you use them both in conjunction with one another for low level listening, but they can and should allow independant configuration?

panman40

Distinguished Member
It's not, that's what I was saying, adaptive DRC is not selectable if YPAO volume is set to off.

panman40

Distinguished Member
Strange, when YPAO volume is off there's just the --- alongside adaptive DRC.
I have left volume on though as I am using YPAO eq of Flat to see how that goes.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Maybe it is something Yamaha have started doing? Adaptive DRC never relied upon anything in the past. Sounds as though they've made it similar to the Dynamic options on Audyssey receivers? THe Adaptive DRC equates to Audyssey Dynamic Volume while YPAO Volume equates to Dynamic EQ. Both the Dynamic options aren't available if not using Audyssey EQ, but even the Audyssey system allow you to use the two Dynamic options independently of one another.

I can't think of a technical reason why Adaptive DRC would require YPAO volume? The manual also makes no mention of any dependency????

panman40

Distinguished Member
Not sure, my 675 wasn't like that but the 777 is, like I said though if you select Through you can still set YPAO volume to on.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Maybe drop Yamaha a line and ask them? I'm quite curious to know the answer now and wonder why Adaptive DRC would need YPAO volume to be engaged? I can think of reasons not to want to use YPAO volume while using Adaptive DRC, but few or none that would warrant the opposite, yet this appears to be the options Yamaha have provided?

panman40

Distinguished Member
I will give the tech guy a call in the week.

stewjoy

Can I throw in another question, in the main sound setup should adaptive DSP level be on or off? (Selects whether to automatically adjust the CINEMA DSP effect level)

panman40

Distinguished Member
Can I throw in another question, in the main sound setup should adaptive DSP level be on or off? (Selects whether to automatically adjust the CINEMA DSP effect level)

Good point stewjoy, all seems a bit of a mystery isn't it!, I've had mine a while now yet after trying to integrate a new sub I'm using one if the peq's which has thrown up these queries,
I shall ask my tech guy at yamaha :)

stewjoy

That's what I find sometimes with manuals, they can talk a lot of gobildegook. It would be nice to give an example, Ie if you leave adaptive DSP level off it makes cinema DSP more fuller or if on makes it less effective, hope I'm not talking gobildegook.

nathanhh

Standard Member
I realize one needs to engage some form of EQ to allow one to use YPAO Volume. Can it just be manual PEQ or must it be the automated ypao output?

panman40

Distinguished Member
I realize one needs to engage some form of EQ to allow one to use YPAO Volume. Can it just be manual PEQ or must it be the automated ypao output?

On my rxv777 Ypao can be selected with or without using a peq, ie 'through'.

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom