• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Yamaha YHT298 - Too much for my room size or not?

DarrylJohn

Established Member
Basically got this to replace my X540's, and use for the TV too. Here's my set up... (Mind the clutter - cba to tidy up) :D

Do you think the 298 is too much for the space?

317111_10151392815286845_407999873_n.jpg

The Monitor is 27", and the TV is 37" for a rough idea on the space that's there.

Already ordered, but still have time to cancel etc.

Cost me £230 delivered from Richer Sounds.

Cheers

steveng

Standard Member
Basically got this to replace my X540's, and use for the TV too. Here's my set up... (Mind the clutter - cba to tidy up) :D

Do you think the 298 is too much for the space?

The Monitor is 27", and the TV is 37" for a rough idea on the space that's there.

Already ordered, but still have time to cancel etc.

Cost me £230 delivered from Richer Sounds.

Cheers

Maybe a bit much, but might be nice, and there is the future.
One thing most have a hard time wrapping their mind around,
modern TV sets are basically computer monitors, so why have two computer monitors? Casual viewing while net surfing?
I would ditch the monitor, hook the TV to the computer, the way to go.
I have a laptop, but do a lot of web surfing with my desktop hooked
to my 51" plasma. Not a gamer, but I imagine it would be nice.
And with your space limitations might help.
Don't know if you can get BOSE, don't really care for them with a large system, but they excell with small systems, I especially love their media-mate series.
Good luck!

DarrylJohn

Established Member
I do like that idea, although I occasionally game. Suppose It's good enough for the future, these X540's have lasted me nearly 5-6 year. Only thing that's wrong is the sound controller, it freaks out and changes volume of it's own accord. The only fix is to have it on full, and control the volume with windows - it's a problem others have had too.

But yeah, it's definitely more future proof. I think paying out £230 is quite expensive really, as this will be my first purchase of anything like this. We shall see! (I'm hoping the amp can sit under the dreambox on top of the tower).

DarrylJohn

Established Member
Would it be ok if my PC Tower is to sit on top of the RX-V373? Weighs about 2-3kg... It's not that heavy.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Would it be ok if my PC Tower is to sit on top of the RX-V373? Weighs about 2-3kg... It's not that heavy.

It is generally advised that you not place components on top of one another, especially when dealing with amplifiers that vent hot air out via the vents on their top panel. You can potentially shorten the life of an amplifier or even cause it to overheat by not providing it with adequate ventilation.

DarrylJohn

Established Member
Well, I guess I'm going to have to just take it back on saturday. The amp is far too big... Richer Sounds website didn't note the amp size, but noted everything else. I figured it'd be big, but the width of the amp is a little bit smaller than the length of my tower.

I'll see what fits it best, I could have the tower against the other wall facing behind the monitor, and the amp facing the same way side by side, with the centre speaker on top of that... but then you'll see all the wires. Not quite sure what to do really. It's a shame I couldn't find a little enclosure to sit over the amp leaving enough space for it to vent properly, then the tower then sits on that - as there's a big enough gap between that and the TV currently.

DarrylJohn

Established Member
Last post - I'm gonna wall mount the PC Monitor, and then put the amp where that currently sits. Will come to about 40% of the way on the desk - Could move desk out a little so to give room for wires and overhang it a little, so potentially 30-35% of the desk. Bodge job... but it's required, as im not putting the amp on the floor.

DarrylJohn

Established Member
393139_10151404920761845_1730513080_n.jpg

Finally got it all set up. It's not bad at all. I've now wall mounted the centre speaker on the wall above the monitor. The receiver gives off alot of heat.

That 27" catleap monitor was a chew to get wallmounted too. Had to take the backing off the monitor to do it. Mind you, got a 27" LG IPS Screen (exactly same as iMacs) for £230... can't complain with abit of a mess on with wall mounting.

Sound is far better. Only thing I now need to do is set it up correctly, currently got the dreambox hooked up via HDMI, but PC is Optical (Huge audio delay in youtube videos).

Wanting to be able to listen to music from PC, and watch Tele at the same time though... So dunno how I'd go about that..

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom