Yamaha YHT S400: Help connecting to an exisitng Yamaha

spamsteiger

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have recently purchased a Yamaha YHT s400 as I wanted to add an additional centre speaker and powerful subwoofer to my set up; however I'm having an absolute nightmare how to get installed in line with my current set up!!:facepalm:

My existing setup includes a Yamaha Rx v365 receiver which is connected via optical cable to a Samsung Led TV, also connected to the TV via Hdmi is a Acer PC / Freesat Box and PS3 and currently all sound is playable through the receiver and speaker set up.

I've spent quite some time searching on the net how to connect the new YHTS400 to the exisitng receiver and get the sound playing both through RX365 and the new unit with the same suggestion of connecting a HDMI from the output of the YHTS400 into the input of the RX365;however does not seem to work.

In terms of connections the YHT s400 has 3 hdmi inputs and 1 outputs, with the RX365 having 2 Inputs and 1 output.

The option I'm currently contemplating is purchasing a Optical splitter which would have input from the TV and then 1 optical to each receiver, does anyone here have experience with a similar set up / solution to a similar problem, Any comments greatly appreciated!!!

A Yamaha YHT s400 is not a centre speaker but a stand alone unit. If you needed a centre and sub then that is what you should have got and connected it to your AV amp.

Thanks for the reply, should have explained this is a temporary measure until I move in a few months where the s400 will be used on its own, can anyone advise best way to connect system together; clearly I'm a novice at these things!

Lack of comments suggest what I'm trying to achieve is not possible, thanks anyway

Yep, you did a dumb thing, your reasearch was rather faulty. As suggested you should have bought a centre speaker and subwoofer.

Yep, you did a dumb thing, your reasearch was rather faulty. As suggested you should have bought a centre speaker and subwoofer.

Incorrect, Have managed to run these side by side and after purchasing a 2nd optical cable and playing with the HDMI cables along with some fine tuning on the sound settings on both receivers. Really happy with the results.

So no HD audio as everything is going via the TV to the 365 via optical. Also ANY HD audio from the PC and PS3 will not be getting to the YHT 400 (the YHT 400 will only accept HD in the form of LPCM). The 365 will not do HD audio full stop.

The subwoofer is in the YHT 400 I suspect right now that you are probably not getting the .1 channel in any multichannel audio be that Dolby Digital, DTS let alone any HD audio that has been decoded to LPCM (which as already stated will not be getting to the YHT 400 any way). On top of that what will coming out of the TV optical output is likely to be only stereo for the PC, Freeview box and PS3. It's called 5.1 because that .1 is a special channel of LFE intended for the subwoofer right now there is no way that the sub in the YHT 400 is getting it.

Unless you have taken the 365 entirely out of the system and wired everything into the YHT 400.

I'm telling you that you did a 'suboptimal' thing because, when you move you will need to replace one of the YHT 400 or the 365.

For a simple life that has HD audio and everything staying in the digital domain and thus not having any down conversion to stereo (which is what will be happening right now) until it comes out of the speakers keep the YHT-400 and live with the fact that it will be doing lots of fancy psychoaccoustic processing to any multi channel audio (eg it won't sound as good as proper discrete surround) as you don't have the side L&R, or even the back L&R for a 7.1 system. For the time being having the 365 in the system is rather pointless and will be giving you sub standard audio in comparison to what you could be getting. The issue with the YHT400 is that there is no way to get the surround channels without relying on pyschoaccoustic trickery from the YHT's dsp and it's just not going to be as good as proper discrete channels, placed to cope with your room and set up accordingly.

If all of this was to get HD audio then you'd have been better off binning the yam receiver and buying a new starter pack from the likes of Onkyo or Yamaha for about the same cost of the YHT-400 or actually quite a bit less if the YHT-400 was bought at rrp.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom