Answered Yamaha YAS207 HDMI passthrough issues

OneFreeman

Novice Member
Reaction score
I'm absolutely stuck here and I'm hoping someone has the expertise to help me out. Googling hasn't helped and it's kind of a hard issue to search for as I'm not sure where the issues lies...

So I bought a Yamaha YAS207 recently with the hopes of utilising it's 4K HDR HDMI passthrough to link to my Xbox to my TV's HDMI ARC input. Now sound wise everything is perfect (DTS Surround) and I'm getting 4K HDR as expected, and CEC+ is working fine. However it seems to have caused issues with the HDCP 2.2 handshake as I get a error message if I try to play a blu-ray via the Xbox (stating my device needs to be HDCP compliant or something along those lines) and the Netflix app is bottlenecked at 1080 resolution for 2160 content. So all fingers point towards HDCP 2.2 issues blocked 4K video content. I'm just not sure where the problem lies as everything in my setup meets the requirements.

Also the PS4 Pro connected through the same set up with the same cables doesn't have the any issues and says I'm HDCP 2.2 compliant. The arc port is hdcp 2.2 on the TV too.

I’ve hard reset the Xbox, cleared the cash, rebooted my tv, powered everything off for hours and tried it all again. Nothing seems to kick start the handshake. Occasionally it'll work after a fresh boot but then fails again. I could use optical but I'd much rather use HDMI for the better sound quality.

Has anybody had an issue like this? Hoping someone here owns this soundbar and has a similar set up! All advice welcome!

My setup is, in order, is as follows:

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Try disabling CEC (which will disable ARC), install an Optical cable between the TV and the Soundbar and see if that is stable.

Joe

Thanks for the reply Joe. I can do this and it does work but I was hoping to utilise the better quality sound via hdmi and make use of the arc port. Which is what the soundbar offers. Seems like the way the Xbox handles hdcp rights management is the problem.

Hmm interesting, I’ll look into that, thank you. Just a shame I need it really. I might just hook up the PS4 instead as that works without the hdcp issue. Perhaps Sony and MS handle hdcp in different ways.

I’m trying to get my YAS 207 and my XB1 sorted out at the minute. Can’t figure out why if I set the audio out from the Xbox over HDMI to uncompressed 5.1 the Dolby/DTS light won’t come on. Does for bitstream over HDMI.

I’m trying to get my YAS 207 and my XB1 sorted out at the minute. Can’t figure out why if I set the audio out from the Xbox over HDMI to uncompressed 5.1 the Dolby/DTS light won’t come on. Does for bitstream over HDMI.

I believe it's because the soundbar doesn't suport "HD" formats such as Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD. It supports DTS and Dolby Digital for which bitstream is the best. To be honest I don't think any games actually support the HD formats it mainly blu-ray and UHD blu-rays.

I believe it's because the soundbar doesn't suport "HD" formats such as Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD. It supports DTS and Dolby Digital for which bitstream is the best. To be honest I don't think any games actually support the HD formats it mainly blu-ray and UHD blu-rays.

Not sure what it's doing with them then. If it doesn't support them I don't understand how it's giving me sound, must be decoding it somehow.

You are doing the decoding at the source and passing the PCM (Uncoded/uncompressed file) to the YAS 207.
Basically your xbox is decoding it and passing it down as PCM, hence the YAS doesn't know the where it came from (DTS or DOLBY).

If you passed through the compressed bitstream, the YAS would have to do the decoding and at that point it would know that it was DTS or DOLBY so can indicate as such on the light display.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom