Yamaha WDAX-10 streaming from NAS

DevonDavid

Standard Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a cheap used Yamaha WXAD-10 on Ebay to use as my first streamer. After listening to comments on this forum, I decided I needed a benchmark to compare more expensive solutions and this is the cheapest streamer I could find. It works OK but the one thing that has surprised me is that it doesn't access my shared music folder directly but seems to need a server installed on the NAS. I've installed Plex and Twonky server on my NAS (WD EX2 ultra) and the Yamaha works fine through those although I found Plex very irritating and glitchy so that's dumped. Twonky works better although it's a bit tedious having to go through several menus every time I start the system. I'm wondering whether this is the only solution for this device and also whether the same is true of all streamers? i.e. If I upgrade to say a Bluesound Node or use something like an Allo Boss Pi device will I still be limited to the Twonky server. I should add that since I've been playing music through various devices such as PC, phone and now a streamer I've come to realise just how important the library interface is because some programmes really make it difficult for you to find your stuff. (MusicBee insisted on turning 30 compilation albums into 261 for example). However, I wouldn't want to use a paid subscription service.

i am using Qnap NAS with Minim server and it works perfectly with Wx-ad10...try to find out is it possible to install some other servers on WD...

bluenode as far as i can tell will work without dedicated server on NAS side, but i don't know how it works in practice...

Thanks Tactman. So I'm presuming the Yamaha doesn't have the processing capability that more expensive streamers have and that gives them the ability to act as their own servers in effect. I haven't found another server that I can install on the WD NAS but Twonky works OK despite the c**p name so not actually a problem. I'll be interested to compare the sound quality between the Yamaha and an upmarket streamer when I finally get my hands on one to audition. The app will be critical too.

Hi,
I've been using a Yamaha WXAD-10 streaming directly from a nas (zyxel NSA 310) ,it worked flawless for years.

Recently I got a Western Digital My Cloud EX2 Ultra and I discovered with surprise that Yamaha WXAD-10 doesn't access directly the WD NAS but a media server like TwonkyMedia server has to be installed .

I have got the same problem with Xiaomi Mi Box using kodi, but in that case I had some success by entering directly the ip path for the location like 192.168.2......(in this case the DHCP mode is not an option, if the ip path is changed then files aren't accessible)

Is there a way to make the My Cloud EX2 Ultra accessible directly from Yamaha WXAD-10 ?
The zyxel NSA 310 was doing that for years !
Thank you,

Last edited:
As others have said try Minim server, it's very flexible, but it's not the most intuitive to setup.

You could also look at using LMS (Logitech Media Server). It looks like there is a package for the WD (called SqueezeCenter) but I suspect it's based on an older version of LMS than the newer 8.3 release..

Once installed, enable the UPnP/DLNA bridge plugin (to communicate with your WXAD-10) and the Material Skin plugin (to give it a decent interface) under 'plugins'.

--

But yes, in answer to your wider question, the more full-featured streamers (often those with the better interfaces/apps) like BlueSound (BlueOS), Sonos or the RPi streamers running something like Volumio tend to (but it's isn't a given) access your network shares directly (via SMB) and then create their own local libraries that you can access (using the streamers mobile/desktop apps) without the need for a separate server on your NAS.

Software like Roon (and LMS) take a hybrid approach of being installed centrally (on a NAS, NUC or PC) but then stream to a variety of different audio endpoints using their own apps/interfaces, rather than simply acting as a headless DLNA server.

Last edited:
As others have said try Minim server, it's very flexible, but it's not the most intuitive to setup.

You could also look at using LMS (Logitech Media Server). It looks like there is a package for the WD (called SqueezeCenter) but I suspect it's based on an older version of LMS than the newer 8.3 release..

Once installed, enable the UPnP/DLNA bridge plugin (to communicate with your WXAD-10) and the Material Skin plugin (to give it a decent interface) under 'plugins'.

--

But yes, in answer to your wider question, the more full-featured streamers (often those with the better interfaces/apps) like BlueSound (BlueOS), Sonos or the RPi streamers running something like Volumio tend to (but it's isn't a given) access your network shares directly (via SMB) and then create their own local libraries that you can access (using the streamers mobile/desktop apps) without the need for a separate server on your NAS.

Software like Roon (and LMS) take a hybrid approach of being installed centrally (on a NAS, NUC or PC) but then stream to a variety of different audio endpoints using their own apps/interfaces, rather than simply acting as a headless DLNA server.

Thank you for the reply,

Living with zyxel NSA310 nas for many years, there was no necessity for a media server.

All shares stored into that nas were directly accessible from devises like Yamaha WXAD-10 . No need for a media server at all.

Why Western Digital My Cloud EX2 needs one ?

Living with zyxel NSA310 nas for many years, there was no necessity for a media server.

Actually, the Zyxel NSA310 does have an inbuilt a DLNA Media Server which you may not have been aware of :lesson:

Indeed:

System Specifications​

Network Protocol​

• CIFS/SMB for Windows
  • NFS for Linux and Unix
  • DHCP client
  • PPPoE

Network Application​

• Personal Cloud with Polkast support
  • Media server
    • DLNA 1.5 media server
    • UPnP AV server
    • iTunes server
    • SqueezeCenter support
    • Photo album server

Even supported the old SqueezeCenter!

Thank you all for your replies,
Things became clear,
I spent the weekend by trying to make the wd nas visible by the devices with no success.
The necessity for twonky was always in front of my eyes but i didn't want to involve with one more thing.
I shouldn't buy the WD my cloud nas .

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom