1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha vs. Sony - opinions please

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Tenex, Jul 4, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Tenex

Tenex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,066
    I'm thinking of upgrading from a Pioneer with 5.1 and DPL to something 6.1 and DPL II ETX etc..

Looking around I'm considering either a Yamaha DSPAX630 (or the receiver if I can't get the amp) or a new Sony STRDB790. Now I know the Sony is shipping this month and I haven't seen a review but perhaps the 780 would be a reasonable indicator as to likely performance?

One other thing: Richer aren't sure if the Yamaha 630 is a 6.1 amp as they don't have it in stock and their website says it isn't - anyone know?

They will be mated to an Eltax set for a couple of months before I get some Missions (probably) FWIW.

Comments on the two appreciated. I'm inclining to the Sony - mainly on the grounds it's the newer and it's the cheaper oddly enough. (Will listen to it when it's available, obviously) Thanks.

2. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Depends what you want it for. If it's a movie machine then the Yammy is hard to beat in this price range. I tested lots of amps about a year ago before I ended up with a Sony 1080 (now sold again!). I found the cheaper Yammy's were poor with music but had great steering for DD/ DTS.

Go demo.

3. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    In this price range most av amps/receivers aren't too good with music so go for a good movie performer and if not satistfied with music get an integrated amp at a later date. The Yammy would be a great choice imo. I had the earlier ax620 and was well impressed with it's movie playback- detailed, v dynamic and able to cope with anything thrown at it. This was then coupled with the Mission M71 speaker package at that time. The 630 coupled with some Missions will be a good overall performer and very hard to beat in this price range (imo)

4. Tenex

Tenex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,066
    Musically I've given up on CDs and ripped them to an Archos Multimedia at 192kbps or better, so as far as music playback is concerned itwill almost certainly be sourced there. Having said that, I will connect a Netgem to the amp for DAB (mainly for R7, R3 and R4 though much of what I'd listen to is recorded via a Wavefinder and my PC as MP2). Given that, I rarely listen to music except through the Archos - I never seem to be sitting in the same room as the amp. ;)

So realistically I suppose I'm more interested in HC/AV performance.

So is the 630 a true 6.1 amp?

5. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Netgem isn't a DAB radio- it's freeview radio.. not the same thing.

I would be wary mating the Sony AV amp up with Missions- most likely get a harsh and unforgiving sound.

6. Tenex

Tenex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,066
    I thought Freeview was carrying the DAB stuff but at higher bit rates - is that incorrect?

Sony + missions don't work? I'll make a note of that and demo some. Thanks

edit:
    one other thing I forgot to ask is whether either of the amps will allow video switching and whether you'd recommend it?

7. hamtaro

hamtaro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yamaha do make good amps in fact i would say they make the best. although at some time in the future there hold will be lost. at the time the yamaha,s a1 came out nothing sony had could even touch it,nowadays though dealers will tell you sony make good tellys ,dvd players, etc, because that what they excell at.yamaha make dvd players but i will bet sonys are better?i remember listening to a sony strdb930 against a yamaha a5 and the price at the time was the same, but the yamaha totally outclassed the sony, and regardless of what people say the sony 930 is one of sonys better efforts. so i personally would go for yamaha, but research on these forums and check out what other forum members think.

8. hamtaro

hamtaro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the sony is not one of sony,s better efforts

9. Tenex

Tenex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,066
    Just called into Richer as I was passing and they had both in stock surprisingly. The manager suggested going with the Sony 780 as he owned one and even offered £50 off without a hint from me. Couldn't demo it though, I'll have to go back next week for that.

I started out inclined to the Yamaha and it looks from the comments I should stay with it. So would it be OK for video switching? As I've never done it I'm afraid I'm completely ignorant on the topic. I assume I could set up the amp from a TV display rather than struggling with the remote?

10. hamtaro

hamtaro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    when richer start spinning the old sales patter that they are famous for, especially the old i have that one and its better than that one blah blah...stick to your original choice and get the yamaha.

11. hamtaro

hamtaro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    like the jerk manager in a local richer near me who said rel were not as good as gale in the subs department!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Tenex

Tenex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,066
    :laugh: :smashin:

Now I just need to get this Freeview thing sorted ... I can't live without BBC 7.

13. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    You owe it to yourself to demo the Yammy and the Sony head to head... with a choice of your own music/films..

I am not the only one to find Yamaha and Sony have very different sounds..

I have always demo'd my systems, and always ended up with Sony, it was an easy choice... the Cinema Studio EX processing seemed to gel with my ears better then the Yammies effort, and the Yammy seemed underpowered, even if they are similar spec wise... but I know loads of people whi prefer the Yamaha...

Price wise, is the STRDB1080 not closer to the 630????

STRDB790 = £230
    STRDB1080 = £380
    RXV640RDS = £340...

14. Tenex

Tenex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,066
    Price wise it works out thus:

DSPAX630 / RXV630 £250 / £280
    STRDB 780 / 790 £250 / £229 (!!)

Do the 1080 is about £100 more.

I think it'll be difficult to track down a 790 (they are shipping apparently) but I can wait another 2-3 weeks due to redecoration. I'd certainly like to demo them.

15. davidwatsonok

davidwatsonok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    You're right, what a jerk. Just so happens Julian Richer owns Gale!

16. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    I demoed both makes and ended up going for a Sony Amp.

To my ears, the Sony sounded a little harder than the Yamaha, with an edge to the sound that the Yammy lacked.

Saying that, the Yamaha still sounded great and perhaps in hindsight, I should have bought it for the component video switching.

When wired and fired at home, the Sony was a little fatiguing at first, and I used to have to keep turning it down but when I bought the Mission speakers listed below it really came alive, so good speakers are a must.

People refer to the Sony sound, so definately demo first.

Remember that the amp/rec can and will become the hub of your AV system do not write off video switching etc.

Hope this helps a little.

Cap.

17. mrg

mrg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have just got a yammy rxv 630 rds and it is a great amp for H/S
    the diff from my old sony is massive.While watching windtalkers me and the wife nearly jumped through the ceiling. And that was effects not volume and if the missus can notice a diff the it must be good.I only paid £199 for it end of line clearance. All i have to do now is save for better speakers.

18. mrg

mrg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    P.S it does have a rear centre speaker is this 6.1

19. Tenex

Tenex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,066
    Where did you get it for £199 that's a great price. Thanks for confirming it's 6.1. Don't know why Richer thinks it isn't. I'm beginning to think that putting #6 in is going to be too difficult with room layout so I'll be making use of the virtual "6" - can't remember what it's called.

edit:
    BTW does the 630 support A and B speakers ie. for different rooms?

20. mrg

mrg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    i got it from sound and vision in Farnworth a one off in black but they did have some other clearance gear in the shop good prices a yammy 795 for £150 no remote and a sont 740 £99 no remote all ex display www.soundandvision.uk.com

21. Tenex

Tenex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,066
    Good deal. They have a reasonable pair of 1803s at the moment.