Yamaha vs Denon

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Mark_a, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +653
    I'm going to be upgrading soon to take in 4k pass-through and possibly Atmos and over on Richer Sounds I've narrowed it down to the Denon AVRX3400 or the Yamaha RXV685 (both in black). The Denon has more features and more HDMI inputs (and outputs - I need two, one for the TV and one for the projector) but the Yamaha seems better build quality (and possibly slightly better sound). Anyone got any opinions, or even alternatives?

Cheers!

2. ShanePJ

ShanePJ
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Unit 5 The Sidings, Bacup, Lancs, OL13 9RW
    Ratings:
    +581
    If you are going to watch movies and not listen to music, then the Denon AVR-X3400H will be fine, however if your are going to listen to music, the Yamaha will always come out on top. As a spanner in the works, why not take a look at a refurb RX-A1070, yes it a little bit more than the Yamaha RX-V685, but it is part of the AVENTAGE range and has twin HDMI outputs which you require. Audibly it will have no problems in showing both products who's boss and will also show you why Yamaha's are always seen in such high esteem compared to many of there counterparts

3. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,204
    The new now RXV685 has 2 mirrored HDMI outputs which is the exact same number of outputs as the Denon AVRX3400. The RXV683 that preceeded the RXV685 only had one HDMI output. It should also be noted that the Denon AVRX3400 is in fact a higher tier product and the more comparable Denon model would be the AVRX2400.

If not opting to look at the more expensive RXA1070 then it could be said that the DEnon model includes the superior room EQ correction? The AVRX3400 comes equipped with Audyssey MultEQ XT32 which is currently their highest level of domestic room EQ correction. Many suggest this is superior to Yamaha's proprietary YPAO Parametric EQ correction, especially relative to sub bass and lower frequencies.

The Denon has a lot going for it for what you pay for one, but does have a lesser build quality and its own audio signature. Some suggest that Denon receivers sound slow and unexciting (too warm) when compared to Yamaha models.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  4. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +653
    No, can't remember the last time I actually sat and listened to just music (in the car maybe, but not at home), it's always TV and Movies, so it's looking like the Denon then. I have a Yamaha at the moment, and before that an Onkyo and before that Sonys and Pioneers right back to a Kenwood Pro-Logic system, and to be honest all of them have been fine, both to do what I wanted at the time and in the sound department.

5. gibbsy

gibbsy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,920
    The Denon 3400 does have a better room EQ than the Yamaha and actual set up is very easy indeed. As you don't need good stereo for music then I would say that the Denon is better value as it is a higher tier than the 685. The Yamaha is certainly built like a tank and doesn't feel as plastic as the Denon does.

You should go for a side by side comparison and let your ears decide. Personally I would go for the Denon because of the room correction and ease of set up, although I admit that's a rather weak recommendation.

6. Smudger1

Smudger1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +154
    I had the Yammy 679, and always felt a bit disappointed with it in surround scenarios. Replaced it with the 3400 last week, and I'm far happier with it. For me it's a vast improvement. Bear in mind, when I bought the yammy, it was in the same price band as the Denon 2300, so Yamaha seem to have moved their top-spec non-Aventage amps up a notch, although not as high as the 3xxx Denon series...

Edit: TLDR: the Denon

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  7. mooface

mooface

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    I've had Yamaha Aventage for 9 years or so, flirted with Denon but wasn't impressed with the build quality or the overheating. IMO, Yamaha are too expensive when new. If you can stretch to a 1070, you will not be disappointed. Or a used 1060, which is pretty much the same as the 1070. £1,100 brand new is far too expensive but £6-700 is an absolute bargain and you won't need to upgrade for a very long time

I'm using a 1060 and love it. Previously had a 3010 and i couldn't tell the difference.

8. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,204

There are significant differences between the RXA1060 and the 1070 model that proceeded it. The newer model allows you to use Yamaha's proprietary DSP programs and signal processing in conjunction with both Atmos and DTS:X formatted audio. The preceding model lacks this ability.

9. mooface

mooface

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    Hmm mildly interesting, but certainly not enough to give me the ol' upgraditis

10. gibbsy

gibbsy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,920
    Did you have shutdown problems with over heating or where you just worried because the Denons run a little toasty. If you didn't have shutdowns then the Denon wasn't overheating but running within it's capabilities. Therefore the Denon wasn't overheating. I've had a 6200 for three years and it has never shut down on me as consideration has been paid to adequate ventilation.

11. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +653
    Never been a fan of surround processing, other than as novelty value when you first get the thing - "This sounds like a stadium P.A. ooooh, this sounds like a Jazz club ooooh..." and on through them all, then you simply go back to standard auto surround processing and let it get on with it.

12. gibbsy

gibbsy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,920
    If you want to listen to quality stereo music then don't buy a Denon, or certainly not a Denon that doesn't have pre-outs that you can hook an integrated stereo amp to. In all honesty if music is high on the agenda then you'll never be impressed with music from any receiver unless you are prepared to get very high end.

13. mooface

mooface

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    It never shutdown but it was red hot to the touch and i was worried about the longevity. When a 1060 came up on the forums at a good price i jumped back. With hindsight though, it would have saved me on the heating bills as that and the plasma TV could have heated the whole house!

14. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +653
    See post #4.