Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Yamaha volume

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by mooky, Sep 9, 2003.

Tags:
  1. mooky

mooky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Those of you who own a Yamaha Receiver or are familiar with them could maybe answer this question.

Having come from a hifi enironment in to HT i'm now getting to grips with a myriad of different things such as "reference level", the need to calibrate my speakers at 75Db, sub settings etc.

I understand the concept of 00Db as reference and calibrating a system for 75Db however my question is this. In my old hifi world I went by the mantra that you shouldn't really run your amplifier over half way, and in fact never needed to as it was perfectly loud enought below this. I now have moved to HT and live in a world of DB's and reference levels. The question is, although I understand that the DB reading on my AMP is relative my amp *ALSO* has a bar graph on the front of it, which does give some resemblance to a normal volume dial with a min and max. So, where on this bar graph does the 00Db lie ? At the max, in the middle or somewhere else ? And if this bar graph means anything, does the same old adage apply that I shouldn't run the amp past half way on it, regardless of the Db ?

Thanks for you help,

Mark.

2. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    If I remeber rightly my Yammy ax620 started at -75 db and went up to +14db with reference levels being 00 db. I generally never went past about -30db before it became too loud. 00db must be deafening. I think I''m right in saying it's on a logarithmic scale so the volume increase from -75db to say -50db is less than -50db to -25db.
    Hope this helps a bit.

3. menalaus

menalaus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    i would second that, ive not even got close to reference with mine.