1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha volume

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by mooky, Sep 9, 2003.

Tags:
  1. mooky

mooky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Those of you who own a Yamaha Receiver or are familiar with them could maybe answer this question.

Having come from a hifi enironment in to HT i'm now getting to grips with a myriad of different things such as "reference level", the need to calibrate my speakers at 75Db, sub settings etc.

I understand the concept of 00Db as reference and calibrating a system for 75Db however my question is this. In my old hifi world I went by the mantra that you shouldn't really run your amplifier over half way, and in fact never needed to as it was perfectly loud enought below this. I now have moved to HT and live in a world of DB's and reference levels. The question is, although I understand that the DB reading on my AMP is relative my amp *ALSO* has a bar graph on the front of it, which does give some resemblance to a normal volume dial with a min and max. So, where on this bar graph does the 00Db lie ? At the max, in the middle or somewhere else ? And if this bar graph means anything, does the same old adage apply that I shouldn't run the amp past half way on it, regardless of the Db ?

Thanks for you help,

Mark.

2. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    If I remeber rightly my Yammy ax620 started at -75 db and went up to +14db with reference levels being 00 db. I generally never went past about -30db before it became too loud. 00db must be deafening. I think I''m right in saying it's on a logarithmic scale so the volume increase from -75db to say -50db is less than -50db to -25db.
    Hope this helps a bit.

3. menalaus

menalaus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    i would second that, ive not even got close to reference with mine.