1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha Video Switching - Which route ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by GForce, Dec 18, 2003.

Tags:
  1. GForce

GForce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All

Ive done alot of searching through old posts as ive only just found this goldmine but i cant find what im looking for so i hope someone can help.

Ive just brought my first setup, Tosh 32ZD26, Yam640, Tosh 330. Now im fine with connecting those up - i think :)

Tosh 330 -> Component Cable -> Yam 640 Amp
    Tosh 330 -> Digital Coax -> Yam640 Amp
    Yam640 Amp -> Component Cable -> Tosh 32ZD26

Probably going to get these ( Profigold PGD481 Digital Coaxial Cable ( £12.50 ) & Philex Thor RGB (3 Phono to 3 Phono) ( £35 ))

However im confused how to connect my Sky box - Grundig GDS 3000.

Its got RGB Scart and Svideo - Which is better ?

Also will i loose much quality by using the Yam to Video Switch the composite, Obviously any connection degregates but anything significate ?, If so then thats one less cable to buy :)

Sorry its quite long - Ive not brought any cables yet so am looking for some Guidance / Reasurance / Suggestions.

Hope you can help

Kind Regards

G

2. saturday

saturday
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, component from Tosh to amp and amp to tv is the right way to go.

For your Sky box you've got 3 choices: If you want to use the amp for switching then you can use it to convert svideo to composite (bad move) or you could buy an svideo/scart to component converter (good move but aprox £150) to put between the Sky box and amp.

The easiest way would be to forget about using the amp for switching Sky and connect the Sky box directly to the tv using svideo or scart (not sure of the options with a 32ZD26 - if both then I doubt you'll see a huge difference between scart and svideo - experiment). Then run audio from Sky box or tv to amp for decent sound. The added advantage of this route is that you can then view and listen to SKY with or without the amp which can be very wife/family friendly.

3. GForce

GForce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the reply Saturday.

Somthing was niggling me about the svideo via amp route.

In which case i see no reason to take the component signal through the amp either ( saves £35 for the cable ) as the amp wouldnt be in control of all of the Visual side so would only add to an extra connection ( the Tosh 32ZD26 has direct component in ).

Cheers again - Its been annoying me all week

Regards

G

4. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You may also have the option of daisy chaining your DVD player to your Sky box (if it has two SCART connectors). Usually one supports RGB passthru.

So you have:
    DVD->SKY->Yam->TV

We have a similar setup and use our Yam for video switching:

DVD->Sky->RGB2YUV->Amp->Plasma

regards
    Ogbyte