Yamaha - V2600 discontinued???

ellchester

Established Member
Reaction score
I went into a shop on Tottenham Court Rd in London today to ask for a price on the Yamaha V2600. The guy said it has been discontinued and has been withdrawn and has been replaved by the V2700 which aren't due out until Sep/Oct. I thought the 2600 was only farly new. I rang Yamaha but was on hold forever so I gave up. Any truth in it being discontinued?

Yes, it is discontinued and will be replaced on September with the RX-V2700 at £1300.

Crustyloafer said:
Yes, it is discontinued and will be replaced on September with the RX-V2700 at £1300.

How can you replace one model with another model that costs £400 or 44% more? If the RX-V2700 does retail for £1300 then the new model is aiming for a different place in the market.

Looking at the American spec for the RX-V1700, which comes in at a similar price to the V2600 you don't get up scaling so you are paying the same but getting less. Also while the V2700 has 3 HDMI sockets they don't support the latest version of HDMI http://www.audioholics.com/news/pressreleases/YamahaRXV2700receiver.php

The V1700 is priced as a replacement for the 2600. The 2700 is priced to compete with the Denon 4306.

rasputin said:
The V1700 is priced as a replacement for the 2600..

But without up scaling which was a major plus point in my books

According to Audioholics ...
The RX-V2700 can also upscale to HD resolution of 720p/1080i by utilizing Anchor Bay Technology's ABT1010 video scaling chip.
There were a few threads here saying that upscaling on the 2600 should be avoided because it was done better at source (e.g. on a good quality DVD player, or by the screen).

Is upscaling a necessary feature on a receiver as it will not do the job as well as a dedicated scaler like a Lumagen.

Max_The_Mole said:
According to the spec they both do upscalling.

Not according to http://www.audioholics.com/news/pressreleases/YamahaRXV2700receiver.php

"The RX-2700 and RX-V1700 are capable of HDMI 1080p signal pass through and up-converting analog composite, S-video and component signals to HDMI output, with a time base corrector (TBC) that stabilizes the video signal. Both models employ the latest Oplus™ de-interlacer to convert 480i to 480p. The RX-V2700 can also upscale to HD resolution of 720p/1080i by utilizing Anchor Bay Technology’s ABT1010 video scaling chip."

Where are you getting your specs from?

Waste buying ANY receiver these days when HDMI 1.3 is not out yet.

When HDMI 1.3 is out and DD+ and all new HD sound formats the current receivers will be obsolete.

Packetfront said:
Waste buying ANY receiver these days when HDMI 1.3 is not out yet.

So what you are saying is we should all wait for about another 12 months (bearing in mind 1.2 is only just beginning to appear on products in Q4 2006). But then when 1.3 is released won't 1.4 and 1.5 just be around the corner and we will all be in the same position that we are in now. Personally I would rather buy something now that meets my current needs and get 12 - 24 months enjoyment out of it now.

Packetfront said:
When HDMI 1.3 is out and DD+ and all new HD sound formats the current receivers will be obsolete.

I would love to know how you have come to this conclusion.:rolleyes:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom