Yamaha Two MusicCast 20 vs One MusicCast 50 as rear speakers

Geppo

I've got a Yamaha RX-S602 receiver. One of the reason why I bought it is that I can add easily wireless rear speakers.
My idea is to buy two MusicCast 20, but since the MusicCast 50 seems to come up quite often in Refurbished/ex-demo bargains, I was wondering whether this could be an option to consider.
Has anyone tried both setups? Which one did you prefer for rear speakers?
  • Two MusicCast 20 left and right
  • One MusicCast 50 in the middle

S3rv3d

I've got a Yamaha RX-S602 receiver. One of the reason why I bought it is that I can add easily wireless rear speakers.
My idea is to buy two MusicCast 20, but since the MusicCast 50 seems to come up quite often in Refurbished/ex-demo bargains, I was wondering whether this could be an option to consider.
Has anyone tried both setups? Which one did you prefer for rear speakers?
  • Two MusicCast 20 left and right
  • One MusicCast 50 in the middle

Where do the 50s come up? I need to sort out surround, and currently struggling with how I can use my MA Radius 90s, wall mounting/room for stands are the issues.
One MusicCast 50 could be a solution.

Geppo

Here's an example: Graded - Yamaha MusicCast 50 Wireless Speaker - White

I personally prefer two MusicCast 20 since I'd like to reuse my speaker stands, but I was curious to know if there is a major difference in sound.

There is also a third possible setup apparently i.e. two MusicCast 50, but it seems a bit overkill to me and expensive
musiccast-surround.PNG

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
They still come with power cables so keep that in mind. :) Need wall sockets near by, so not fully wireless as some people have thought.

I think the decision to go for 20 or 50 would depend also how they can be placed. If the 20s can be spread good amount of apart not too close to listeners at the sides or slightly behind at sides and using the angles Dolby recommends then for sure that is the way one should go. For 5.1 the surround channels shouldn´t be directly behind the listener (like 50 is in that picture). If one doesn´t have other options then this then.

Geppo

That's great for me then! I preferred the two MusicCast 20 solution anyway.
I have lots of plugs at the sides of the sofa and it's a three seater so there will be a fair distance between them I think. Perhaps they would be a bit too close to the listener, but with a small room that's the best I can do.

The fact that they need power cables is a good thing I believe: that'll leave more amp power available for the front speakers: following another discussion over the MA Silver 200 and my inadequate receiver :)

I guess S3rv3d could start with one MusicCast 50 (although not ideal accordingly to Dolby) and then in the future (if he moves home etc.) add a second MusicCast 50.

Bertie A

Standard Member
Hi Geppo. I've had a Yamaha RX-D485 AV Receiver for a year or two with a surround sound system. Like you I want to get rid of the wired rear speakers and replace them with Yamaha wireless speakers. I'm planning to get two Yamaha WX 010s.
I'd be grateful to know if you've had success with the MusicCast 20 Solution you were considering??

Geppo

Hi Geppo. I've had a Yamaha RX-D485 AV Receiver for a year or two with a surround sound system. Like you I want to get rid of the wired rear speakers and replace them with Yamaha wireless speakers. I'm planning to get two Yamaha WX 010s.
I'd be grateful to know if you've had success with the MusicCast 20 Solution you were considering??

Unfortunately the WX-010 don't work for a surround setup. I know because I wanted to buy them and did a lot of research.

In the end I bought the MusicCast 20 and I'm really pleased with them, they are powerful enough and fairly easy to setup: here in London you can buy 2 for £300, which I thought it was ok.

If I were Yamaha I would make a cheaper version of the MusicCast 20 stripped out of all the "useless" features like Alexa, Apple AirPlay, various buttons, alarm clock, etc. They would go down a storm as surround speakers in my opinion.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom