Yamaha TSR 7850 Dolby ATMOS setup

dante01

Distinguished Member
AS I said, youAV receiver should alternate between showing you what the SURROUND DECODER mode is being used and what audio format it is being applied to. THe screen should stay set to just DSur and should alternate to show the actual format coming into the AV receiver.

Regardkess, the fact DSU is still being applied implies that the incoming audio is devoid of Atmos metadata. If Atmos metadata were present then the Dolby Surround Upmixing would be cancelled out and negated.

Which streaming service is it that you are trying to access Atmos via?

Barbar88

Novice Member
When I chose dsur. And check avr audio information it's looking empty like not seeing any device connected. Is this normal?

IMG_20220118_140401.jpg

IMG_20220118_140355.jpg

dante01

Distinguished Member
For a start, I no idea what you are trying to prove, but you cannot portray the AV t=receiver's onscreen disoplay and menus on the TV while simultaneously using ARC to stream audio to the AV receiver. Whatever you are doing isnt playing anything that would stream anything to the AV receiver if you are able to show the onscreen display on the TV. The reason the enties are black relating to what the AV is receiving while set to the ARC audio source is because you are not playing anything on the TV. If you were then you'd then not be able to portray that on the TV.

REpeatedly posting the same pictures doesn't alter anything I've said.

Barbar88

Novice Member
I'm sorry about that I don't wanna prove something, I don't have to much info about this avr system just wanna digging more and learn more. But before I send it picture it was my mistake, now I figure it out. Please kindly check this picture I took it now. Somehow I made some mistake but I can't found myself.
IMG_20220118_144022.jpg

dante01

Distinguished Member
Again, that image cannot possibly relate to what you are getting via ARC. You xannot simultaneously stream audio from your TV to the AV receiver using ARC and show the AV receiver's onscreen graphics in the TV.

Whatever that source is, it isn't ARC.

The only way you be able to determine the audio format the AV receiver were receiver while using ARC is by getting thios information from the AV receiver's front panel display.

You also keep posting the same image of the display showing the DSur upmixing. I've asked that you engage the STRAIGHT mode and if you had then the display would no longer be saying this. What does it show while you've engaged the STRAIGHT mode while the receiver is set to the ARC audio source and while you are using ARC to access audio from the TV?

Last edited:

Barbar88

Novice Member
Yes you are right all its about my TV settings, while I'm using this setting that on photo, I can't get dd+ now I closed this (earc mode = off) I can see finally dd+ on my screen. But my output is looking 5.0.2 not seen sub woofer right now.
IMG_20220118_145447.jpg

dante01

Distinguished Member
Whatever you are doing, you ain't using ARC because the AV receiver's onscreen graphics cannot be sent to the TV while using ARC. ARC repurposes the HDMI connection, turning it into an audio only connectiuon from the TV to the AV receiver.

Anyway, if now getting DD+ from the TV, try one of the shows you've been trying to access that includes Atmos. You should in theory now get Atmos?

The Atmos metadata associated with streaming sevices is only packaged with DD+ and you'd only get Atmos on the AV receiver if bitstreaming the DD+ audio the Atmos metadata is packaged with.

Barbar88

Novice Member
I tried but still no have dolby atmos, I sent my setup picture avr to tv. Could you please tell me where I'm doing wrong? I used 1 hdmi 2.1 cable avr arc to TV arc no have another device or connection.
IMG_20220118_151620.jpg
IMG_20220118_151637.jpg

dante01

Distinguished Member
AS far as I can tell, there's nothing wrong with your cable or connections. I'm assuming that you get some form of audio via this connection while using ARC? If not then you need to ensure ARC is turned on onboard both the TV and the AV receiver.

If you are getting audio, but not Atmos then you'd need to configure your TV so it BITSTREAMS the audio you are accessing via the streaming service apps you are using. I don;t own your model of TV or a Sony TV so I'm unable to be more detailed about this,

Barbar88

Novice Member
Yes exactly when I use arc connection I get audio not atmos as you said. And your opinion is totally my problem from my Sony TV isn't? Not something else, cause another way I should buy another streaming device like amazon fire stick 4k. But before I sure I don't wanna spend more.

dante01

Distinguished Member
I'd try to find a thread or topic discussing how to configure your TV to output Atmos. THe issue may even be one caused by the implimentation of that particular styreaming service app not actually being able to access Atmos?

AS I said, I cannot be more specific about this because I don't own your TV.

wasjrx51

Standard Member
I feel for you buddy! I was in the same exact position as you are ... I refused to spend another cent on the system until it was working! After a couple of weeks of frustration, I finally went out and bought the Roku Ultra - basically to see if it made a difference - and it did. Using the apps from Roku instead of my TV somehow made all the difference; nothing else was changed and I was getting Atmos. If fact, the audio was so good, I also bought a Panasonic UB420, and that has even better audio!

Barbar88

Novice Member
I feel for you buddy! I was in the same exact position as you are ... I refused to spend another cent on the system until it was working! After a couple of weeks of frustration, I finally went out and bought the Roku Ultra - basically to see if it made a difference - and it did. Using the apps from Roku instead of my TV somehow made all the difference; nothing else was changed and I was getting Atmos. If fact, the audio was so good, I also bought a Panasonic UB420, and that has even better audio!
Thank you if I need to spend I'll do but I tried first cause I thought it was my mistake for connection or something else. But seems clearly it about device problem. I try to check maybe can borrow from someone and check it. Appropriate that for your helping.

wasjrx51

Standard Member
Like you, I had reached out for help after I had exhausted every setup combination and still did not have Atmos working. I thought I had missed something, so went through everything again many times. At some point, I had actually gotten a program working with Atmos somehow, but it was fleeting and I could not reproduce it again after trying numerous times. And like I said, I finally broke down and got the Roku, and my headache ended! As an added note, part of my reluctance to adding a new device was that my video was superb. I have HDR10+ (no Dolby Vision on the TV) and I had no issues with the video, which in my mind, made me re-think that the connection setup was good, and I could possibly have a source issue. Good luck!

Barbar88

Novice Member
Like you, I had reached out for help after I had exhausted every setup combination and still did not have Atmos working. I thought I had missed something, so went through everything again many times. At some point, I had actually gotten a program working with Atmos somehow, but it was fleeting and I could not reproduce it again after trying numerous times. And like I said, I finally broke down and got the Roku, and my headache ended! As an added note, part of my reluctance to adding a new device was that my video was superb. I have HDR10+ (no Dolby Vision on the TV) and I had no issues with the video, which in my mind, made me re-think that the connection setup was good, and I could possibly have a source issue. Good luck!
Thank you so much for advises and good wishes, I'll try for tomorrow to find any device to support dolby atmos. I hope can fix my issue as well.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom