Yamaha TSR-7850 audio issue for only certain situations

bobdey

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have a TSR-7850 AVR with a DISH Hopper 3 attached to it via HDMI. I have a 5.1 speaker configuration. I usually use the "Standard" Yamaha DSP setting for most things and normally everything sounds great.

Here is the issue...In certain situations, I experience very low volume during live Dolby 5.1 broadcasts but in the same broadcast everything comes through fine. For example, I was watching the NBA All-Star game on TBS last night and there was live halftime entertainment. The volume of it was much lower than the main announcers during the game. Also, any player that was mic'd up, you could barely hear him when he talked. The volume diffference was also very obvious for the Super Bowl halftime show. If I turn on 7 channel stereo the volumes are more equal. If I disable Dolby audio output on the DISH Hopper, the AVR then gets a PCM 2 channel audio signal and the volumes are much more equal. But who wants 2 channel audio processed into phony 5.1 when true 5.1 is available?

I have discovered that these lower volume audio signals are not coming from the center channel speaker and just being output to the front L and R speakers. This tells me that the producers of the broadcast are mixing these other signals differently than the main (eg. announcers) signal. Also, contributing to the issue was that I had the Dialog Level option set to +3, which raises the center channel signal quite a bit. I lowered it to 0 and things seemed a bit more equal.

Anyone else with a similar setup experience this or have any comments?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
You are basically at the mercy of the broadcaster. Volume can vary from programme to programme or event to event. Not long ago watching an episode of The Handmaid's Tale on the UK's Ch4 over the air broadcast which was Dolby 5.1 all the dialogue came out of the left hand front. I think it's just one of those things that you have to take on the chin.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom