1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha Subwoofer - opinions

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Mac, Jan 9, 2003.

1. Mac

Mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone had a Yamaha YSTSW205?

It claims to go down to 23Hz and has 150 Watts, so assume it must be the best sub below £200.

What do you think, any good for the price?

Mac

2. alextgreen

alextgreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Demo it next to something from a big sub manufacturer, I have a 005 and it's alright really. Does the job for me as I very rarely listen at reference level.

3. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I would take those figures with a large keg of salt. The frequency range quoted is at minus 10dB - respected manufacturers use +/-3db - REL use +/-6dB which is rather naughty, -10dB is taking the pi** and pushing marketing bullshi* to the extreme. I would expect it's +/-3dB figure to be nearer 35Hz, maybe 30Hz but certainly no lower.

Then there's the power rating - 150 watts sounds respectable enough but that's at 5ohms and I seem to remamber that they often quote at something ridiculous like 10%THD (distortion level).

IMO you'd be better off saving an extra £100 or so and going for something like an MJA Pro 50 at £299 (if space is an issue) or a Velodyne CHT10 at £325 if you have room for it.

If you can't spend more than £200 or so then have a look at what you can get second hand such as an REL Q50.

Matt.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If they resort to fiddling the figures they must have something to hide so keep away.