1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha Subs any good?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by mcmullanbrush, Jun 20, 2002.

1. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone have an opinion on the current range of Yamaha subwoofers. They never seem to get reviewed. I used to have one years ago and it was rubbish but I have been told they are much better now ( mainly by salesmen)

2. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I have the YST-SW320 and am really pleased with the way it performs both for films and music - a few people commented in reviews that it couldn't cope with music too well but to be totally honest I really haven't noticed. It took a little longer to get set up than I was initially expecting but I guess this is fairly true of any sub so not a problem in itself...

On the same note, my Dad has the YST-SW305 and again, same story. Very pleased with both music and movie's.

Hope this helps - send me a message if you have any more questions or want to know a bit more about either of these 2 :)

I seem to recall finding some reasonable reviews on Audioreview - might be worth a look?

Kelvin :D

3. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    mcmullanbrush,
    My nephew has a YST-SW800, it's really not bad.
    As mentioned above, Yamaha have plenty of good reviews at www.audioreview.com.
    I almost plumped for one of these to match my DSP-AX1 to replace a B & W ASW-1000.
    In the end I have two Paradigms, (Servo-15 and PS-1000), very content with them.

4. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kelvin

Thank you very much, I was beginning to think noone would touch one with a bargepole. I have seen the yst800 at a good price and am thinking about getting it. It would be for movies only.

Gringotts

Thank you also, could you tell me how you connect your two subs.
    Do you use the x30 control panel from the servo-15 to split the sub out signal or do you use the sub out to the servo-15 and speaker wire to the ps 1000?
    I love subwoofers but they baffle me a bit:confused:

5. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    mcmullanbrush,
    I'm not saying it is best or better, but direct not using X-30.
    I have long lengths of Tandy oxygen free gold connector cables set through floorboards. They have been there since my Mordaunt Short Decoder One was set up about 1994 ish.
    I should upgrade, but I'm happy with the sound and there aren't any hums or buzzes and stuff.
    Subs are a mystery to me too, whenever I read about ideal placement, eigentones and band pass / crossovers and the like, the only advice I can offer is to experiment and see what you like yourself.
    Obviously, there are real experts on this forum who can do much better...

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    they must be female :)