1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha Sub YSTSW315

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by JoeyJoeJoe, Oct 22, 2003.

1. JoeyJoeJoe

JoeyJoeJoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've seen this sub on hifistore.co.uk's website for only £220. It seems to have a similar spec to the BK XLS 200. Does anyone have or had the YSTSW315? How good is it? This sub is just about within my budget but I don't want to buy a lemon. Other than the BK, can you recommend any other sub at no more than £250?

Cheers.

2. Lister

Lister
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    just bought YSTSW320 FRO £200, from www.hispek.com.
    Not tested it yet, but for that price your not going to get anything better.

3. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    not sure what the competition is, but the yamaha hasn't received very good reviews...maybe worth checking out for some second hand stuff.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    A spec can be confusing and invariably tells you very little. If you are referring to the frequency response they are invariably meaningless and if you are referring to the size of the driver and amplifier it is again a meaningless statistic as the quality of the driver and amp itself is so important but cannot be quantified.

Having said that, I agree with babble that keeping an eye on the classified forum here is the best way to get the maximum sound for your pound with the BK being the obvious choice if you insist on buying new.

5. JoeyJoeJoe

JoeyJoeJoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was just wondering what I could get for the £250 mark. There appears to be quite a waiting list now for the BK so I may be swayed towards picking up a SH one in the classifieds.

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Try putting a wanted ad in the classifieds and see what turns up

7. Dom36

Dom36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hey Joe.
    I bought the exact same sub. from HifiStore also.
    I am very satisfied with the sub. however it hasn't got good reviews from anywhere really but it does fit in with my system well, so i'm fully satisfied.

8. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yamaha are notorious for their over optimistic specs. For the SW315 they claim RMS output of 250 watts and a frequency response of 20-160Hz. Looks very impressive until you read the small print.

That 250 watt RMS output is at 100Hz and (get this) with 10% THD!!! I think the normal "fidelity firewall" is 0.5% THD. In other words, the 250 watts is with a ridiculous amount of amplifier distortion.

Then there's the frequency response. 20Hz but it's at MINUS TEN dB! And you thought REL were taking the p*ss quoting +/-6dB figures. Realistically, I wouldn't expect much below 30Hz.

Matt.