Yamaha SUB 100 vs NS-SW100

Geppo

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm trying to decide between the SUB 100 and the NS-SW100.
I've compared them on the Yamaha website (attached) but since I'm not an expert I don't know how the various numbers translate into sound quality.
The SUB 100 has a smaller cone (8" instead of 10"), but seems to be more powerful, 130W vs 50W.
The SUB 100 also has a wider frequency response range, 28-300 vs 25-180, which I guess it's another good thing.

Unrelated to sound, I also really like the fact that the SUB 100 is much narrower (25cm vs 35cm) and has auto-standy.

The fact that SUB 100 can be used also wirelessly (I have an RX-S602 Multicast) is a bonus, but not a deciding factor.

The only downside of the SUB 100 from what I can see is the price, £229 vs £149.
Do you agree?

YamahaSubsComparison.PNG

Last edited:
I've compared them on the Yamaha website (attached) but since I'm not an expert I don't know how the various numbers translate into sound quality.
The SUB 100 has a smaller cone (8" instead of 10"), but seems to be more powerful, 130W vs 50W.
The SUB 100 also has a wider frequency response range, 28-300 vs 25-180, which I guess it's another good thing.

Unrelated to sound, I also really like the fact that the SUB 100 is much narrower (25cm vs 35cm) and has auto-standy.

The fact that SUB 100 can be used also wirelessly (I have an RX-S602 Multicast) is a bonus, but not a deciding factor.

The only downside of the SUB 100 from what I can see is the price, £229 vs £149.
Do you agree?
The nssw100 is for films, the sub100 is more for music hence the higher frequency which with decent speakers you're not going to go as high anyway considering most people usually put the crossover at around 60-120.
Expect the sub100 to be more of a mid bass model and the sw100 to sound deeper which is preferable for movies.

@Geppo

If there is no need for wireless sub then forget those Yamaha woofers. Get BK Gemini II for almost similar price here and the quality of bass will be on another level to Yamahas. You get 10" DF driver in a sealed cabinet with 150w amp. Nice wood veneer finish which gives you totally different feel for build quality vs. those horrible Yamahas. Also you have 2year amp warranty and most importantly great support/service with BK Electronics (UK/Essex), as a bonus good aftersale value when you upgrade. BKE has been building woofers since 1992. These are new grade-b in mint condition.

If you want more rumble for movies then consider the KLH ported model. 10" - 150w aswell.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Thank you guys!

Just followed those eBay links and wondering why Grade B Gemini II is only £24 cheaper than new: Gemini

Thank you guys!

Just followed those eBay links and wondering why Grade B Gemini II is only £24 cheaper than new: Gemini

Yep it`s not much but still something. It`s still basically new and i can´t remember any member founding any marks. If you can afford to order from the site then you do have finish options aswell.

Thank you guys!

Forgot to say, if you go one from the main site you better call them and ask how fast you get one as some finishes are made from order so it might take some time.. The Colosussxb products you will get shipped in few days usually.

I ordered a Gemini 2 (Grade B) just before Xmas from their eBay site as it was the finish I wanted and in stock for immediate delivery. Arrived within a few days of ordering. I could not see why it was grade B as appeared perfect to me.

If the budget is £200, the Q Acoustics 2070s should be considered.

I used to own a bk xls200 mark 2 and the QA 3070. Im using a 2070s in my main system. Available in gloss finish for no extra cost.

Here's a satisfied user:

I think I need to stick to my budget otherwise I'll never make a decision. I was prepared to stretch it a bit for the SUB 100 because it seemed really good on paper and a bargain (£229 refurbished including delivery).

The BK Gemini II once you add delivery is £263 (£308 if you want a nicer colour) and at that price range lots of other options come up like this 300W CA and I'm starting to get a headache :)

I think I need to stick to my budget otherwise I'll never make a decision. I was prepared to stretch it a bit for the SUB 100 because it seemed really good on paper and a bargain (£229 refurbished including delivery).

The BK Gemini II once you add delivery is £263 (£308 if you want a nicer colour) and at that price range lots of other options come up like this 300W CA and I'm starting to get a headache :)

Is either of those i linked ok colour? 225£+10£ for shipping through ebay?

The X301 isn´t anything special apart from the rounded cabinet. For 324£ shipped you have BK XLS200 which would be easily better purchase. And then you have P12 at 346£ which would be the real sweet spot for movies in mind when talking about these low cost woofers. Always something better for little bit more... 😅 But it certainly won`t go waste, great long term purchase as the hunger with this hobby grows each year.

I would never touch Yamaha subwoofer, but it´s your decision. BK has been building woofers since 1992. You won`t get similar support or service if you have to fix some issue. We have had members with 10year old Bk`s getting amp repairs under 100£. Try the same with Yamaha, hah!

Do you agree?

View attachment 1443509

Hi

Which soundbar or system do you want to pair this up with?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom