Yamaha Silent Cinema and Sennheiser RS170 - thoughs/pitfalls?

phAge

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a Yamaha RX-V1900 which I'm very fond of. Unfortunately my downstairs neighbour doesn't share my sentiments, and as I'm tired of dealing with her I'm now looking into a set of wireless headphones.

Far as I can tell, the Sennheiser RS170 are a pretty decent choice, and I've heard good things about Yamaha's Silent Cinema (pseudo-surround) function as well.

However, before forking out for a pair of cans I'd like to run it by you clever, clever people first: realising that headphones (disregarding some ultra-expensive ones) will never be able to fully replace a good 5.1 or 7.1 - how well will the RS170s and Silent Cinema work together, do you think?

The Sennheisers use the analogue-out on the V1900, so does this mean that I'll miss out on the range and quality of the HD audio-formats? I mainly use my setup for gaming (360) and BD, and I'd hate to lose the lovely punch of my BD-collection, due to the limited bandwidth of the analogue connection.

So: thoughts and suggestions? Maybe even someone with experience using Silent Cinema and wireless cans?

I would try and isolate the sound? Do you have carpet? You could try and isolate the speakers and sub by placing them on plinths etc. How loud is it? Have you went downstairs and had a listen? It could well be that she's just being unreasonable.

Ah - just realised that there is a separate section for headphones-related stuff. Sorry about that - hope a mod moves this to the appropriate place. :(

I would try and isolate the sound? Do you have carpet? You could try and isolate the speakers and sub by placing them on plinths etc. How loud is it? Have you went downstairs and had a listen? It could well be that she's just being unreasonable.
Yeah - been there, done that, I'm afraid. I've got a pair of XTZ 99.36 fronts hooked up to the Yamaha (no sub ATM), and despite them being on a pair of 40 lbs concrete blocks (with foam feet under), they really make the (hardwood) floor dance.

It's not (I think) a matter of the speakers themselves vibrating - more the sound pressure reflecting off the floor - and even my highly tolerant missus won't go for carpeting, I fear. :)

EDIT: Also, it's not like my neighbour is stopping me from cranking it up to 11 (well, 8 or 9, anyway) from time to time, but as I like my Battlefields and my Saving Private Ryans, I think having at least the option of using headphones is the best solution for everyone.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom