1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

yamaha separates: advice needed

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by stephen19, Jul 6, 2004.

1. stephen19

stephen19
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I was going to buy some Yamaha separates simply because my other stuff was Yamaha, but then I realised that the whole point of separates is you can mix and match and get the best. I am looking to get a cd player (preferably one that holds several discs at a time), a tape deck, and a tuner. Which do you think are the best makes and models, and how do Yamaha's offerings compare?

Thanks.

2. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Yamaha make good tape decks - the KX393 (£140) and the KX580SE (£250) are both award winners. You should be able to get a 393 for £20-40 on ebay or in the classifieds. If you have a Yamaha remote controlled amp then the remote should also control the tape deck which is one advantage to keeping to the same make.

Yamaha also make 5 disc multiplayers (not sure what the current model is). I had an older one which cost £20 second hand and would say it was ok for limited use in an AV system but not really any better than a budget DVD player. If you want decent CD player then I would look at Sony or Marantz for around £100 and if you have more to spend then Cambridge Audio and Nad at around £250

3. stephen19

stephen19
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I bought the 493 tape deck, which is supposed to be the 393 but with better build and components (and a timer), but I am sending it back because I was not impressed. For example, one of my niggles was that the tape only plays one-way; you cannot get it to play in the other direction without turning the tape over. I did not buy the 580 because I did not think it would be worth it with most of my collection being on cd, so I do not know if it would satisfy some of my criticisms about the 493. It seems the dual deck version 321 does do both sides play, even though it seems to be advertised as a lower spec version.

I read that the 585 5-disc cd player does not have an on/off via remote control! What is the point of a remote if not to be lazy and not have to get up and walk to the unit? I saw one in the shop and did not like the remote: the buttons were like pyrimids; raised in the middle. It did not look as nice as the other yamaha units, it felt a bit tin boxy. My main worry was that if you open the drawer whilst one disc is playing, you can put 5 new discs in and according to the manual, the player will not prevent this, so when the player tries to unload the disc being played, it will go crunch as you have placed another disc into the space on the tray. I am getting a brochure from Sony to find out about the 300 disc player: it will save the shelf space if I can keep the discs inside the player!

4. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If money isn't tight the £600 CDRDHD1300 from yamaha is doing the rounds @ £450
    This is a 125 hour full quality hard disc music storage that also doubles as a cd recorder!

5. stephen19

stephen19
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's a bit more than I was hoping to spend.

6. Mitch2000

Mitch2000
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm with you on the Yamaha Gear. Great Build quality that will last for years but I would suggest you have listen to some other stuff as well. I'm using Yamaha for AV and have recently bought Marantz CD & Amp for music. I'm eqaully impressed with Marantz and therefore suggest you have a listen to some other makes yourself. Not sure about a 5-CD machine though for the following reasons:
    1: Not as good as single disc machine on musical quality and
    2: People I know who had a 5-CD machine found it to be a bit of a pain i.e. slow to access tracks. OK if you only own 5 CD's I suppose.

7. stephen19

stephen19
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm now thinking of the Sony with the 300 cd capacity for that reason!

8. Mitch2000

Mitch2000
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Set to Play on Random?