Yamaha s540

scrapbook

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been reading some posts on this player.

There appear to be some probs with the prog scan output..but I don't think I will use this (used only for plasmas and projectors i think?) all other comments seem very positive.

My DVD player is some 4 years old and my gut instinct is the music quality is pretty poor. (it also doesnt play jpegs/cdrw etc)

Are there any users out there can confirm the only probs are with the prog scan..i will be using the scart/component output.

Also I understand that the cd playback is pretty good.

Thanks alot

I had one of these, and it had severe ghosting problems when used with prog scan. Very bad ghosting effect. :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

I also thought the build quality was rather poor, even considering the price point. :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

I returned the player within a matter of hours, and bought a Denon 2900 instead, 5 times the price and worth every penny. :smashin:

Very happy with mine. No ghosting evident when driving my plasma. In fact the picture is fabulous.

Build quality seems reasonable for sub £100. Poor quality remote though.

From the comments I've seen in various places it seems the Yamaha is a real hit and miss player with regafds whether you get a good one. Can I assume its another player made in China?

If you do get a bad one its normally pointless getting a replacement from the same shop as they will all be from the same batch and probably have the same run of components.

I know from experience that ghosting is caused by slightly too high a voltage going into the AV decoding circutiry which causes an image slightly too bright with ghosting. There are workarounds to this though.

I'm very happy with my Yamaha S540. Progressive picture is very good for a budget player. Quality control may be a problem - I had to replace the first player which had a horizontal banding problem, but now happy with the second player. The staff at the shop (Super-Fi in Leeds) where I've bought from says it's as good as his Arcam player.

Piya

I too am enjoying this player, based on its price I feel its a steal.

I know from experience that ghosting is caused by slightly too high a voltage going into the AV decoding circutiry which causes an image slightly too bright with ghosting. There are workarounds to this though.

While I'm not doubting this comment, I would assume Yamaha and other brands would be aware of this "simple" voltage problem and eliminate it at the building phase?

Markie Boy

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom