Yamaha S540/Philips 723/Toshiba 330

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by SuperOxford, Dec 6, 2003.

1. SuperOxford

SuperOxford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    After getting some advice on here i am considering getting 1 of these players.

I thing is that the Yamaha (i think) and Toshiba are multi-region but as my TV is not NTSC compatible if i play a region 1 disc then the picture will be black and white. is that correct? Are either the Yamaha or Toshiba able to display colour on a region 1 disc if i connect it to my TV? Is any player able to do this or is it impossible?

Thanks

2. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    If your television displays ntsc in black and white but apart from that the picture is well framed then just make sure your connecting it via scart to the RGB compatible scart socket of your television and select RGB in the dvd player setup options. This will almost definitely give you full colour. The only exception being a set that doesn't really have a real rgb mode like some Toshiba and Loewe sets and they downgrade the RGB signal to s-video internally and can lose the colour. These sets tend to be the high end sets anyway though and often support component input. So just use the component outs from the dvd player instead if its the Toshiba or Yamaha. Maybe the Philips has component out too but I don't know the model.

3. SuperOxford

SuperOxford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    My TV only has a SCART socket, dont know if its RGB compatible one though. Its a 21inch Ferguson about 2 or 3 years old. Instructions for it are rubbish and they dont mention anything about the SCART socket!

Not sure i will use region discs that much but would like to be able to watch them in colour when i do.

4. SuperOxford

SuperOxford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I notice that some DVD players have NTSC-Pal60 Conversion. What does that mean?

5. Markie Boy

Markie Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Perth, Western Australia (Originally Ireland)
    Ratings:
    +228
    The Yamaha DVD-S540 does NTSC - PAL conversion and vice versa, so you can safely buy this player and it will work on your TV, in full colour.

Markie Boy

6. SuperOxford

SuperOxford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks

Will the Toshiba have the NTSC-PAL conversion as well?

7. Blackspeech

Blackspeech
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    SuperOxford,

To check specs on Toshiba go to:

http://www.toshiba.com

Select country on left and choose category of product on right once UK page loads. Then search.

My advice on specs is to always go to the manufacturer site if not sure. Some stores don't put all the info you need and miss things out such as number of connections, jpeg viewer etc. Same goes for your TV.

8. mevetts

mevetts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What have you decided on SuperOxford?

I was going to go for the Tosh, but am sceptical about getting enough of a DVD player for my money.

Any ideas on other budget players sub £150 people?

Cheers,

Mark.

9. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    The Toshiba plays pal discs as pal and ntsc discs as ntsc its as simple as that. You don't need PAL 60 conversion though as a RGB scart cable will avoid that problem. The Yamaha sounds quite nice although to me at least its a very ugly player.

10. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    Its highly likely your set supports RGB but possibly doesn't support s-video. Have you not tried any rgb sources on it like game consoles or a skybox?

11. SuperOxford

SuperOxford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I have bought a Toshiba 330 from Amazon for £80 plus a SCART cable for £20. Should be delivered on Thursday so looking forward to it turning up.

My TV has a Telewest digital cable box connected to it and is also used for a PS2 every now and again. Both are connected via a SCART lead and both work perfectly so hopefully should have no problems with the DVD player.
    Af

Thanks everyone for all your advice and help.