Yamaha S540 - AAaaarrrrrhhhgggg !!!!!!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dfield2000, Apr 3, 2004.

1. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've posted a thread like this before, but didn't get a solution.

I'm so peed off now that I'm pleading with all S540 owners to help.

I've bought Spirited Away R2 and throughout the entire length of the film I'm treated to a lovely 'Angle 1/2' logo in the top right hand corner of the screen.

I've searched throught all the menus and I can;t find any option to turn this display off. I've also contacted Yamaha themselves, but they haven't bothered replying.

Please help.

Cheers

2. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    I have had a nose at the owners manual here and it simply says that pressing the angle button on the remote changes the angle. I assume as you have 1/2 displayed that there are more than one angles available on this particular film, though that does sound a bit wierd to me :confused:

I assume you have tried repeatedly pressing the 'angle' button?

3. aleatoryuk

aleatoryuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just got a Samsung HTDM150, and I can't find any way to turn this off either, it's really annoying me :(

I get it on Princess Mononoke as well

4. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I have a Philips DVD737 and get the same thing whenever a title contains multiple angles - it smells like they're using related chipsets and different offsprings of the same firmware. It's is annoying indeed. :mad:

5. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    I've got this system myself and while it does come on at the beginning it either goes away by itself or pressing the angle button gets rid of it. I've got Princess Monokoke on now and there is no angle/camera image displayed.

Most other players have an option somewhere to turn it off anyway.

I believe the problem is related to dvd mastering and how the angle flag is put on the disc. Sometimes its present on the dvd menu as if the whole dvd had an angle option so you get it whatever you do even if there is only one angle. However correctly authored discs should only set the flag on individual sectons of a dvd (like special features) where there is an angle option. If you get it on every disc then its obviously the dvd players firmware but if its on only a small section of discs its probably the authoring being a bit ropey.

6. aleatoryuk

aleatoryuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I only get it for about the first 5 minutes of Princess Mononoke and then it goes away so it's not so bad, but it shows the icon even though the title says there is only one angle for that 5 minutes, which is odd in itself.

For Spirited Away I have tried just about every button on the remote about 3 times and the only thng the angle button does is switch between the film and storyboard, the angle button will not turn off the icon. So if you have managed to turn this off on Spirited Away Bonzobanana, I would love to know how you did it please.

7. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    Sounds like Spirited Away actually has an angle option in it so that you can toggle between the film and the storyboard. Its rare for a main feature to have an angle option so perhaps there is no workaround. Using display on the Samsung with monokoke shows that at the very beginning there are 2 angles but its quickly changed to only 1 angle as you say about 5 minutes in. Seems that if you select japanese audio and don't select english subtitles you get the japanese introduction to the film. So there are two angles at the beginning. Looks to be a PUO (prohibited user operation) to just use angle to change between the two. I only have a SVCD copy of Spirited Away and therefore angles aren't an issue for me. The only remedy I can see is if Samsung release a updated firmware for the model but this is highly unlikely. I think like many other players you have to put up with the angle icon with such dvds.

8. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for your input guys.

Sounds like there is no way of switching this off on the Yamaha.

My only option now is to wire my old Toshiba up to the projector, as this has an option in the menu to stop the multi-angle icon being displayed during playback. Don't really want to do this as it means I'll have to connect up using s-vid instead of component prog scan. Oh well.