Yamaha S520 DVD player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Player Multiregion Hacks' started by Joe Moshe, Jan 2, 2005.

1. Joe Moshe

Joe Moshe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought this Yamaha S520 DVD player (used) and it will not play region 1,2,4 DVD's. I am in the US and have a NTSC TV. Could anyone guide me to getting this unit to play all regions.. Thanks, Joe

2. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Try the hack for the S540, it may work.

3. andywilks

andywilks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You need the special code from a philips codeset remote (checkout various websites)- --------- appears, enter a long digit number. same as the philips dvd hack

4. Joe Moshe

Joe Moshe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried your suggestion.. It messed up the DVD..... How do I reset back to factory settings ??

5. Joe Moshe

Joe Moshe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the standard remote that came with the DVD.. Do I have to get the (URC7560) Remote to enter the codes or could I do it with the remote of the DVD. Besides, which button on the DVD's remote correspond to the "MAGIC" button on the URC7560.??? Now, the URC 7460 is an British version. Which one is a compatible US one ???

6. andywilks

andywilks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Factory reset. hold Next+OP/CL (or Next+play- some ver) whilst applying power. Virgin mode/menu appears.

The code you need for multi region is NOT on the orig remote. the URC remote has all codes preprogged into it hence you can find the required code.
    It may still be possible to find on the net PALM PDA omniremote software and a special xxx.prc file that has the buttons code you require. This is how I used to do it- but I cannot find the code now- will be out there somewhere...

regards AW

7. Joe Moshe

Joe Moshe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Andy, the player and its remote do not have a Next+OP/CL button. There is a play button but none of the others... Any other idea ??? .. I do not have a Palm PDA..

8. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Joe,
    check out the PM's I sent you, it gives the player keys to press.
    The first thing to do is unplug the mains for a while, after that do a reset.
    If you don't have access to a One For All remote, a PDA can do it but to be honest new players with a years warranty can be bought for peanuts.
    The S550 I have is available Stateside in either US or European versions, the latter giving PAL prog scan and for you a useless Scart. As my Euro model, the mod is 9 9 9 9 then 0 (with tray open).

9. Joe Moshe

Joe Moshe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ged.... excuse my ignorance but... what's a Scart ?????

10. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    A Scart is large socket which carries video and audio signals etc via a cable to another device.
    The Euro version has one, the US doesn't as you don't use them. A company sells European versions in the US as it has progressive scan on both PAL and NTSC, should you want that facility. Someone was selling these on Ebay recently.

11. Joe Moshe

Joe Moshe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks like Yamaha can't help me in "resetting" my S-520. They want me to send it in for repair which will cost more than the unit itself. Seems like the tech doesn't know as it is a matter of pressing a few buttons and therefore want's to refer me to servicing the unit which I am reluctant to do. I am sure there is a way of resetting this unit. It's a matter of time and I will eventually find out.
    Ged... if your area Yahama service could be of any help please let me know. The 2 problems that I see are:
    1. The tray opens and the display displays "BLOCKED". (can't do anything.. unit has to be turned off.
    2. Once I power it on, the display shows nothing. If I hold the "OPEN/CLOSE" button for a few secs. then the display shows about 6 sets of lines like this.. -- -- -- -- -- --
    and that's it... can't do anything else. Have to power off the unit.

12. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Joe, I think you have a few PM's from me still to read, the reset code should go like this;

unplug from the mains

on the front panel, hold down the PLAY and OPEN/CLOSE buttons

whilst doing the above reconnect the mains

the unit should be reset.

If you open the tray and press ON SCREEN does it give any info as to the region?

13. Joe Moshe

Joe Moshe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ged, I have read all of your PM's... I once again just did the reset ... but the display comes up with 6 pairs of dashes like this >> " -- -- -- -- -- -- " and that's as far as it will go... Nothing else can be done... the system is entirely blocked and wont respond to the front panel buttons nor to the remote... can't open the tray either.. Inside the unit I can hear the motor/spindle spinning and moving back/forth trying to do something but I've waited for more than 30 mins and nothing happens....

14. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I will call and ask if they do a CD to flash the player.

15. Joe Moshe

Joe Moshe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks.. I'd appreciate it...

16. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
  17. andywilks

andywilks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My manual says factory reset is :- hold down skip fwd (>>I) and open/close buttons (On front panel , not the remote) whilst applying power as I said earlier
    (It does also say some versions may require >>I and Play together instead of Open )
    TheVirgin menu should appear - by this I presume an on screen display where you choose country/language tv type etc (but not region...)