Yamaha S1500

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Mulletron, Aug 9, 2004.

1. Mulletron

Mulletron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone got any ideas when this beast of a machine is coming out? I see it listed on eShops like AVLand etc, but none of them give a release date. On top of this, I can't find any reviews anywhere, nor is there anything about it mentioned on the Yamaha website.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

2. jasper_mccrea

jasper_mccrea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I'm interested in this, too. I had an order on with unbeatable, but cancelled it because I couldn't be sure what colour I'd ordered. And there was no sign of a delivery date. And I got scared that it'd be rubbish.

But the price and specs are very very good.

However, maybe I'd be better getting a Denon 2200, or saving some money and getting a sub-£200 player, 'coz it's only a 32" telly what I've got.

3. billygoat

billygoat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm also waiting for this player. There's another thread about it and somebody said it was going to come out mid august. A Dutch etailer I contacted said they were going to have stock at the end of august.

But UK usually seems to get things earlier

4. Mulletron

Mulletron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't mean to nit pick here, but that URL links back to this thread. ;)

After doing some extensive google searches I found a PDF manual for it, and apparently Yamaha are having some serious problems getting it to work properly. :( However, if what you say is right then hopefully I'll have it by the end of the month. :D Also, there's a worrying little note in the manual that says that you can't use the digital outputs on it for SACDs. Is this cause for concern or is it the norm for dvd players?

5. billygoat

billygoat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pedant ;) I meant this thread

I heard it's illegal to output SACD as a bitstream to an external amp,so yes it's normal to have to use the analogue outputs

6. mlinhares

mlinhares
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Neither SACD neither DVD-Audio are allowed in the digital out the only way in 6 analogue cables…

7. Mulletron

Mulletron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's a bit Marvin Gaye, anyone know why that is? :rolleyes:

8. fordster

fordster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    DVD Audio can be sent digitally if your amp and player have i.link (also known as Firewire or IEEE1394 if you're a computer geek!). On Denon equipment this is called Denon Link and I'm not sure if it's proprietary or not. SACD has not yet been cleared for this but may be soon I believe. The reason is for copy protection purposes as you could make "perfect" digital copies of DVD-A or SACD. There has been some agreement on DVD-A for encryption but not yet for SACD (I don't think anyway).

9. mlinhares

mlinhares
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You're right, but I think it only works with proprietary links such as Pioneer DVD with Pioneer Amp, or Denon Link, or Meridian, etc.

10. Ovation

Ovation

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If a player and receiver both have iLink, you can use cross brands. A number of people have combined Pioneer players with Yamaha receivers using iLink, or so I've read. Denon Link is proprietary, and Meridian uses 3 coax digital links simultaneously to carry DVD-A. SACD has not been licensed to Denon Link or Meridian, IIRC.

As for the Yamaha S1500, I too was waiting for this machine, as it was originally set to debut in Canada in April. It's August and no sight of the player. I got tired of waiting and went with the Marantz DV6400, no real complaints so far. (little software glitch notwithstanding that Marantz will fix).

11. jasper_mccrea

jasper_mccrea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    What's the difference between the 1500 and the 100 (apart from £200?)

Faroudja, which probably isn't useful for me, since I'm on a 32" telly
    SACD/DVD-A which I'll never use
    Firewire audio out - ditto.

I might go for the 100 instead, and save my money. Has anyone seen one of these in operation. The 540 was quite highly rated, wasn't it. Its successor should be OK.

12. Mulletron

Mulletron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is getting pretty frustrating, it's mentioned in Yamaha's Spring Consumer Electronics catalogue, but it isn't mentioned anywhere else on their website. On the US Yamaha website it's mentioned, and it says "Expected May '04". It's a shambles if you ask me.

13. billygoat

billygoat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's some more information, including a manual on the Dutch website over here

14. billygoat

billygoat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

The Faroudja feature is one of the biggest selling points for me, but I also have a 32" telly. Can you tell me why Faroudja wouldn't be useful for a set this size?

g

15. jasper_mccrea

jasper_mccrea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I just think that to really see the benefit of something like that, you'd need to be looking on a bigger screen. I'm probably wrong. It's probably useful for all LCD/plasma/DLP devices.