Yamaha RXVx67 - recommended speakers?

Dr-Al

Standard Member
Reaction score
I just got a Yamaha RXV567 amp and a set of Canton 80CX speakers. The results are very disappointing. I think it may be the speakers that are letting the side down.

The resulting sound has 2 major problems that are quite hard to put into words, but I'll try:

1) It sounds very 'tinny' or 'hollow' like something was missing. There seems to either be a big gap in the lower-range or else the mid and upper mid-range are being over-emphasised. The higher frequencies are also very harsh at higher volumes.

2) The bass also seems 'disconnected' from the rest of the sound image. I guess this is connected to 1) but the sub seems to just put out a boom-boom noise that goes along with the rest of the soundtrack but is not really part of it.

I have tried all sorts but the results are significantly inferior to the (relatively) cheap old Panasonic SAHT05 all-in-one surround Amp/speaker set that I am replacing.

Anyway - I am beginning to regret splashing out on these (when I actually prefer my cheap old Panasonic) and I thought I'd canvas opinion from those of you who have one of these amps. I have 2 options:

1) Get a new set - Recommendations? (Tannoy SFX5.1 under consideration)

2) Move the Cantons to become surround and rears and get a new centre and pair of fronts. Any suggestions?

In any case, I am limited to 11cm height (possibly stretching to 12cm) for the centre and 24cm height for the fronts.

Any comments gratefully received.
:lease:

Have a read through this thread:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/av-amplifiers-receivers/1309743-yamaha-rx-v667-owners-thread.html
might help.

I have the 567 teamed up with the Jamo 407 5.1 speakers. It's my first set up coming from a technics all in one and to me the difference is huge. Sorry can't be of much more help.

Nice. I bet you are either single or live in a big house with 'your own' Home Theatre room (separate to the family lounge) :thumbsup:

I'd love a set like that but my wife would not let me through the front door if I came home with speakers that big. Sigh! - I guess life is all about compromises.

Actually far from all that! Married with two kids (toddlers) and live in an apartment! But with women, you have to start laying the "ground" for your toys. Like a hint there, a hint here, an "oh, see the sound isn't good, if we had such and such speakers...." etc. :devil::D
My wife is the "Why? what's wrong with the one we have now" type. So using this strategy I managed to build a gaming rig, buy a new plasma, and now this set up, a toy a year! :smashin::clap:

Actually far from all that! Married with two kids (toddlers) and live in an apartment! But with women, you have to start laying the "ground" for your toys. Like a hint there, a hint here, an "oh, see the sound isn't good, if we had such and such speakers...." etc. :devil::D
My wife is the "Why? what's wrong with the one we have now" type. So using this strategy I managed to build a gaming rig, buy a new plasma, and now this set up, a toy a year! :smashin::clap:

That's the approach I've tried but I've never managed to get it to work. You have my respect for pulling it off.

I have 2 pairs of Celestion DL4 Series II, a pair of Celestion 1 and a Gale Centre 20 in a box in the office. I also have 4 sand-filled stands in the loft. These would go nicely with the Yamaha as a 7.1 system. I've tried the 'but they are just gathering dust so why spend £200+ on a new set' approach to no avail. The response was something like "I don't want those ugly monsters cluttering up the lounge!". The sad thing is, I can't bring myself to part with them because I would struggle to get even £100 quid for the lot!

That's the approach I've tried but I've never managed to get it to work. You have my respect for pulling it off.

I have 2 pairs of Celestion DL4 Series II, a pair of Celestion 1 and a Gale Centre 20 in a box in the office. I also have 4 sand-filled stands in the loft. These would go nicely with the Yamaha as a 7.1 system. I've tried the 'but they are just gathering dust so why spend £200+ on a new set' approach to no avail. The response was something like "I don't want those ugly monsters cluttering up the lounge!". The sad thing is, I can't bring myself to part with them because I would struggle to get even £100 quid for the lot!

Perhaps you could drape a doyley over them so she doesn't notice? :)

or more seriously, why not "hook them up to test the amp is working ok" as you "don't think something's working right". get her to listen and confirm. Then take the Canton's back and come home and let her know they tested them and they're fine, just "obviously not very good". Tell her you'll move the 'monsters' shortly when you get a replacement, and let her get used to them so she's the one complaining next time :)

Last edited:
not sure what help I can offer but have you thought about either the kef's or Alumni's sets? you can always look at second-hand, they are SWMBO friendly..or mine were until I unpacked the rear's :laugh:

Have you run the auto setup? If so, what are the settings the Yamaha has set for:

Speaker size

Crossover setting

Bass + LFE out

Also, what are the lowest frequencies the centre and satellite speakers can go down to?

not sure what help I can offer but have you thought about either the kef's or Alumni's sets? you can always look at second-hand, they are SWMBO friendly..or mine were until I unpacked the rear's :laugh:

Long story short - The Cantons turned out to be faulty (cabinet vibration at high but not excessive) volumes, so I'm returning them. As luck would have it, I've just netted a set of second hand Alumnis from eBay! New, they would be way out of my price range but these came with the stands for £340 so, although significantly over budget, I should be able to move them on for little (if any) loss if they don't meet expectations.

Have you run the auto setup? If so, what are the settings the Yamaha has set for:

Speaker size

Crossover setting

Bass + LFE out

Also, what are the lowest frequencies the centre and satellite speakers can go down to?

Yes, it got everything pretty much spot on except the crossover frequency.

It set the sats and centre as small. The distances were spot on but it set the crossover at 160Hz when it should be 130Hz according to the tech specs. The next lowest setting below 160Hz is 120Hz so I changed it to that.

Sat/centre are 120Hz-25k
Sub is 38-140Hz

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom