1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha RXV800 and Matrix 6.1

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by StephenR, Feb 24, 2001.

Tags:
  1. StephenR

StephenR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I plan to upgrade my current amplifier to a Dolby Digital/DTS receiver with 5 x 100W power output. I'm looking to spend around £500 and the Yamaha RXV800 seems to fit the bill. Is this a good choice?

What interested me about this receiver is the Matrix 6.1 mode. This creates a phantom rear centre channel for EX/ES soundtracks and I was wondering whether this would be beneficial for normal 5.1 soundtracks? I'm having a demo next week so will test it out, but I would be interested to hear other people's opinions - especially current RXV800 owners.

2. tan1415

tan1415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Steve,

The RXV800 is impressive amp.
    But if you're interested in getting a ES/EX capable receiver.
    I'd suggest you look at the RXv1000( iam not sure) , the Denon 3801 or a pioneer(909/859)

The RXV800 is not a REAL EX/ES receiver. I am not sure it can actually decode ES/EX soundtrack...and the others will let you eventually connect an extra amp and speaker.

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just thought I would let you know tan1415 that I am thinking of changing to the Yamaha rxv-800 (if the dealer can get it for me that I bought the Sony off).
    The Sony strd 940 hiss made me lose confidence in it.I say this because I know that you had problems too in this area.

martinc

4. StephenR

StephenR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Yamaha web site says "the unit has a unique matrix circuit which will generate a phantom rear centre speaker when used with Dolby Digital Surround EX and DTS ES software" so I suppose it just applies the same matrix decoding as a genuine EX/ES amp would and then generates the rear centre channel from the rear left and right speakers. I will try it out on Saturday with "The World is Not Enough" (it's the only R2 DVD I have with an EX soundtrack). Do you think the opening sequence would be the best part to test this effect?

I considered the Denon 3801 but it has a power output of 105W per channel and my rear speakers can only take 100W - would this actually be a problem in practice though? Plus I would rather not have additional rear speakers if I can get a similar effect from my existing two using the Matrix 6.1 mode on the Yamaha.

Thanks for your advice.

[This message has been edited by StephenR (edited 25-02-2001).]

5. Pathfinder

Pathfinder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You won't damage 100W rated speakers with an amp rated at 105W. I don't know what the real world power figure is for the 3801 but it won't be more tahn 105W.

Until my rear speakers arrive I'm using Mission 77's and they're only rated at 75W!

Pathfinder

6. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I think in the real world the 3801 power output is very close to what they state if I remember correctly, so there should not be a problem – unless you are going to run your system at 7x105 watts continuously!
    You won't regret the Denon. I promise.
    Mark B

[This message has been edited by MarkB (edited 26-02-2001).]

7. Koen

Koen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it's strange, this phantom rear center thing. When Sony came up with it on the v555-es, it got wacked around the head by this wonderfull mag. Now yamaha has it, and all of a sudden it's a good thing.Strange.
    I wonder though, does thing phantom rear center thing need hifi-rear speakers ?
    As I see it, hi-fi speakers are much better at creating that phantom center than di/bipolar rears, due to their firm soundstaging.Is this true ?

Koen

"I'll be right here"

8. StephenR

StephenR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought 105W wouldn't be a problem in the real world - I'll try and get a demo of the Denon as well as the Yamaha on Saturday so I can compare them. Maybe the Pioneer 859 too? And I thought this decision was going to be relatively easy!

9. StephenR

StephenR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately I won't be able to demo the Denon on Saturday so I'm hoping someone can tell me whether the Denon needs the extra surround back speaker(s) or whether you can get a quasi-EX/ES effect from just two rear speakers? What I mean is does the Denon have a mode like the Yamaha which creates a phantom rear centre speaker?

If the Denon can't do this and I'm impressed with how the Yamaha does it on Saturday I may just get the Yamaha anyway instead of seeking out a demo of the Denon.

10. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Though normally I do like Yamaha their new product politics is a bit, say, confusing.
    A phantom rear center sounds just like another DSP mode to me ...
    Remember that there are more than enough fake surround sounds around (Spatializer N-2-N, Tru Surround, Virtual Surround etc etc), but none comes even close to the real thing - so don't expect to much.

The Denon has been reviewed by HCC, so check this page for the real power figures based on their test!

BTW: It is "easier" to damage your speakers with an underrated amp (so called clipping) than damaging speakers with an overrated amp (and surely 5 Watt won't make any difference here), unless you match a 200W amp with 50W speakers or do listen to extreme sound levels.