Yamaha RXV777

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jukedog, Jul 15, 2015.

Tags:
  1. jukedog

jukedog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi there,

I am close to completing my Home Cinema installation, and was about to order the Yamaha RXV777. I did quite a lot of research on this some time ago. It ticked all my boxes for functionality, quality and price. However, this model seems to have now been discontinued?? Can anyone help with the following:

1. Has it definitely been discontinued? (if so, why?)
    2. If so, is it still available to buy?
    3. Would you advise against buying something that has been discontinued?
    4. Is there a replacement model that Yamaha are recommending?
    5. Any other recommendations for AV receivers in this bracket?

Thanks,
    Jukedog

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,225
    It is in the process of being discontinued and like most manufacturers Yamaha replace every one of their receiver every year. Its replacement wlll be the RXV779. This will be basically the same as the model it replaces apart from including HDMI version 2.0a and HDCP 2.2.

RX-V779 - RX-V 79 Series - Yamaha - UK and Ireland

Yes, it is still available to buy and you shuld be able to get it at a discount due to its replacement being due.

Yamaha RX-V777

If it does what you want and its replacement doesn't include anything you need then there's no reason not to buy an older model. It will still be covered by the manufacturers warranty and will still have the functions and capabilities that attracted you to it in the first place. It will also be cheaper to buy than the newer replacement model.

Alternates would depend upon your specific requirements. What features associated with the RXV777 attracted you to it? It would have to be said the the RXV777 is relatively expensive for what it is. It is not that much more than the much cheaper RXV677 apart from including a phono stage and additional HDMI output.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  3. simonlewis

simonlewis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,757
  4. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,225
    If wondering what HDCP 2.2 and HDMI version 2.0a would bring to the table then the following may be helpful:

HDCP 2.2: What you need to know - CNET

HDMI 2.0: What you need to know - CNET

What is HDMI 2.0a? - CNET

HDMI version 2 and HDCP 2.2 are basically what will differentiate this years new models from those that preceeded them. There are also other factors such as Dolby Atmos and DTS:X being included with many of this years new models, but Yamaha aren't including this on their lower tier RXV model.

5. jukedog

jukedog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks very much guys.

The extra HDMI-out is quite important for my setup, so if I can find a discounted RXV777, then probably makes sense for me to go for it.

6. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,225
    If it is the extra HDMI output you are after then also consider the Denon AVRX2100W:

Denon AVRX2100W

7. jukedog

jukedog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    thanks ...why so much cheaper than the Yamaha? (i must have looked at this when i did my research ...but i cant remember why i excluded it from my list?!?)

8. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,225
    As I said, the RXV777 has always been regarded expensive for what it is. It isn't that much different to the RXV677 which has a price very similar to that of the AVRX2100W, but the Denon model has the additional HDMI output you are after that would be lacking with the RXV677.

You may find this comparison beteeen the RXV677 and the AVRX2100W helpful:
    Yamaha RX-V677 vs Denon AVR-X2100W IN-Command

As I said, there's not much difference between the RXV677 and the RXV777 apart from the RXV777 having a phono stage and an additional HDMI output.

The RXV777 also has pre outs. I'm not sure if these would be a requirement for you?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  9. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,225
  10. jukedog

jukedog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    the Denon now looks like a no-brainer ! ...am still confused as to why I previously ruled it out! ...thanks for you r help with this

11. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +741
    I got my RX-V777 from Richer Sounds a month or so ago for about £400. It's been very good.

I did originally go for a Sony STRDN1050 as it has three HDMI outputs at £350 but couldn't get it to work (wouldn't switch HDMI inputs). Never did find out why (other than the obvious that I somehow managed to get two of them brand new in a row that were broken, which seems unlikely).

Regards

Mark

12. jukedog

jukedog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    thanks Mark

13. Nobbler

Nobbler
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,078
    The Yamaha RX-V777 also has a full set of pre-outs over the 677 so add that to the second HDMI out and phono stage and maybe the price difference isn't that bad...other than that they are pretty much identical but a full set of pre-outs are becoming a rare thing on mid range receivers these days.
    For what it's worth, I tried the Denon 2100 before the Yamaha and it runs hotter than Hades...

14. jukedog

jukedog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Nobbler ...thanks for the info ...so i take it you have a preference for the Yamaha here? (am leaning that way myself) ...thanks

15. Nobbler

Nobbler
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,078
    It's not bad...certainly runs cooler than the Denon and you have the option of adding more power if yiu need it later...Sound quality wise it's very Yamaha which isn't a bad thing. Has loads of DSP modes that you'll probably never use and the remote is a little cluttered. Overall it's feels more substantial than the Denon if that makes sense. It's at the top of the mid range section whereas the Denon is at the budget end of theirs but as time honoured Yamaha tradition, it does every ring it's supposed without complaining and getting stressed out about it so yes I'd recommend the Yamaha over the Denon.

16. jukedog

jukedog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    ...appreciate that, thanks very much
    ...i guess the only question now is, is the Yamaha worth the extra £130 quid
    (that's my only dilemma now ...i don't need the extra pre-outs or the phono - so is a tricky decision, and probably just comes down to brand preference ...but i'll figure it out)

17. Nobbler

Nobbler
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,078
    Just to throw something else into the mix. ..if you can stretch to £500 have a look at the Pioneer VSX 930. ..

18. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,225
    You could buy the cheaper RXV677 and get the same DSP and power associated with the RXV777. The only real difference is the inclusion of an additional HDMI out, pmultichannel pre outs and a phono stage. If you don't need any of these then simply buy the RXV677. You'll not get anything that will improve upon the performance with the RXV777 over the RXV677.

The Denon is in fact the same level of receiver as the RXV677 and again, no less capable than the RXV777. The only thing you'd lose is the pre outs and the phono stage. You'd even gain the ability to output any source including S/PDIF and HDMI to a second audio zone. This is something neither the RXV677 or the RXV777 can do.

I've both Yamaha and Denon receivers in my possession and each has its pros and cons. I do prefer how the Yamaha sounds when compared to the Denon, but I guess this will vary from person to person depending upon their own preferences? The only way you can judge which will be the best for you is to go listen to the receivers.

I'd definately not buy the RXV777 if not needing the features it has over the RXV677.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  19. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,225

If throwing £500 about then you could buy the new Denon AVRX2200W. This has both Atmos and HDMI version 2.0a. It will also receive a free DTS:X update in the near future.

20. jukedog

jukedog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    ...hmmm, the 2nd HDMI out is actually quite important ...i plan to connect the receiver to my projector, and a standard TV ...although i guess there are other connectivity options on the RXV677 to accommodate both destinations? (and does the RXV677 have a zone 2, for 2-speaker audio only?)

21. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,225
    The RXV677 lacks the additional HDMI output, but you can get much the same effect by using an external HDMI splitter. It has the ability to have a second audio zone and is no different to the RXV777 in this respect. Both receivers cannot output HDMI and or S/PDIF audio to a second zone though. You'd be limited to stereo analogue and network sources in respects to the second audio zone.

22. jukedog

jukedog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    ...but if i use an external hdmi splitter, will this compromise my plans for control apps (advanced macros to control tv/projector/sky/media-player etc etc) ? ...i guess it would need to be an IR hdmi splitter to be able to build in the remote switching of outputs into my command sequencing ...all sounds a bit troublesome!

23. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,225
    One other feature absent onboard the RXV677 that is apparent onboard the 777 is Party Mode. This mode allow you to play back the same music that is being played in the main zone simultaneously in the second zone. Stereo playback is automatically selected for all zones while Party Mode is engaged. The RXV677 only allows you to have a different source for each zone. Not sure if this feature is of interest to you?

24. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,225
    Using two outputs on the receiver will compromise this anyway. You usually have to define which of the two outputs you wish to be the master output onboard receivers that include more than one HDMI out. Only one output will function with HDMI CEC and or ARC.

25. jukedog

jukedog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    ...bit out of my depth here now ...i guess i was hoping the command sequence using something like Roomie Remote and some Global Cache kit would be something like

"press button on ipad 'watch sky on tv' = selects hdmi out 2, turns everything on etc etc"
    ....or
    "press button on ipad 'watch sky on projector' = selects hdmi out 1, turns everything on etc etc"

...things are never that simple!

26. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,225
    Roomie uses control over IP and not HDMI CEC. I much prefer using IR and something like Logitech's Harmony remotes. Many devices that have IP control cannot benefit from it while in standby so you can have issues powering them up from standby if relying upon IP to control them.

If you want a more versatile control system then look into Logitech's Harmony Ultimate and the included Hub. This will let you control anty device that can be controlled via IR via either an Android or iOS device. It can be programmed with macros if required.

Logitech Harmony Ultimate

Harmony Ultimate - Universal remote with Harmony Hub RF receiver

27. Nobbler

Nobbler
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,078
    The Yamaha outputs the signal from both HDMI outs at the same time so yiu don't need to tell it which one to use. You just leave it on "both".

28. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,225
    But you cannot use both at the same time for ARC and or HDMI Control. Only one of the outputs is ARC enabled and you can only use one output to effectively use HDMI Control.

HDMI switching can be easilly controlled via the remote. You can have both active, none active or choose between them. There's an HDMI OUT key on the remote which you can use to cycle through the output options:

HDMI OUT 1+2 Outputs the same signal via both the HDMI OUT 1 and HDMI OUT 2 jacks

HDMI OUT 1 or 2 Output the signals at the selected HDMI OUT jack

HDMI OUT OFF No output via either output jack.

29. Nobbler

Nobbler
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,078
    As the OP is connecting to a TV and a PJ he will only need one output that has ARC as as far as I know, there aren't any PJ's that have smart features or tuneRS built in that require ARC. So therefore HDMI out 1 to the TV and 2 tp the PJ...which is exactly hoe mine is set up.

30. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +741
    Mine too. I've even switched off all HDMI control and Anynet+ as it was interfering with my Lumagen set up. I originally wanted to keep it all on so that ARC would work, then it dawned on me that there was no point as I wouldn't be watching anything off the TV's tuner or smart hub anyway as there was no way to output it to the Lumagen - thus I needed to buy an Amazon Fire TV box to get back Amazon and Netflix streaming, but now through the Lumagen.

I have to say the 777 is a pretty damn good amp, now I've got used to its ways of doing things.

Regards

Mark