1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha RXV650 S Video up conversion

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by MacReady, Jan 16, 2005.

Tags:
  1. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    I have just bought a Yamaha RXV650 with S Video up conversion and it is going to be used with a Sanyo Z2 which is on it's way.

What I want to know is what is the best way to connect my XBox to the Yamaha? I have seen a few threads about the Hi Def kits and that they dont work on the PAL XBox's but wondered if the Yamaha would be able to sort this out with the S Video up conversion?

I appologise if this is in the wrong forum...was not sure if it needed to go in the amps, LCD Projectors or Gaming consoles forum :blush:

2. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I don't know if it's possible to make a European Xbox output YPbPr component video without modification, but YPbPr component is by far the best option for connecting your Xbox to the projector. If that's not possible, the easiest solution would be to use S-video instead, but aside from not supporting progressive scan, it has lesser color resolution than component video.

The S-video upconversion in the receiver won't be of any help at all in this case, since all it does is convert between composite and S-video.

3. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    Thanks for that. I know console modding is a 'no no' on the forum and I can honestly say I am not interested in obtaining cheap games...but it sounds like I may have to enable the section of the dashboard by have the console modded if I want the best from it through my pj and then buy the MS Hi Def kit.

4. patr1ck

patr1ck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I modded my Xbox so that I could run the Xbox Media Centre (XBMC) software. This allows one to use the Hi-Def kit for component video out. The newer XBMC software even allows output of DVD's (up-scaling) in 720p format although I haven't tried this with my Sanyo Z2 projector yet.

I also use a Panasonic recorder (E65) to convert from Sky RGB (SCART) to component for the projector, I guess it would also convert S-Video to component as well.

Pat

5. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    Where is the XBMC available from Pat? Do I need it as well as having the console modded to be able to get the best from the machine in my Z2?

Sorry for all the questions but this is my first projector and I want to be able to get the best out of it and am hoping the Xbox will be great on it....didn't realise I would have to do so much to get the best from it though!

Elsewhere on the forum I have read that the xecuter 3 is the best mod as it enables the section of the dashboard for all the output formats?

6. patr1ck

patr1ck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    XBMC can be got via ftp from xbmp.uk.xbins.org, userid xbins, password homebrew.

Easiest way is to chip the xbox then copy software via Ethernet from PC.

I use the Xenium chip but the X-ecuter 3 is just as good (www.xbox-chipz.co.uk for both).

Pat

7. patr1ck

patr1ck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Cleric,

There is an excellant site called www.xbox-scene.com which has info, forums, tutorials on most things to do with Xbox modding, dashboards, XBMC, Linux etc.

Pat

8. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    Thanks for the links Pat..will go have a look over on that site now.