1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha RXV650 or Denon AVR-1905

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by FaB*Bo*Peep, Mar 8, 2005.

Tags:
  1. FaB*Bo*Peep

FaB*Bo*Peep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Should I buy:

Yamaha RXV650 - £269.95 from Richer Sounds

or

Denon AVR-1905 - £249.99 from HiFi Confidential.

Both of the above have very good reviews and I just cant decide between them so I need your advice please.

They will almost certainly end up being used to drive the Mordaunt Short Premiere speaker package which I have more or less decided on.

Thanks in advance.

2. tpc3416

tpc3416

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you prefer a little brighter music, or a soft, even keeled sound?

3. FaB*Bo*Peep

FaB*Bo*Peep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This will be used 90% of the time for movies so as long as the sound is clean, detailed and well seperated I will be happy :D

4. cribeiro

cribeiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +307
    Then buy the Yamaha. I got both the Yam 530 and Denon 1905 at home. For movies I would prefer the Yamaha. It is also easier to use and instructions are better by far. Check my opinions searching the forum. Nevertheless, the Denon is more musical, that is right.
    The DSP are a nice plus in the Yam, although I didn't use them much, they work a threat, while the ones in Denon are awful.
    Good luck!

5. Alpolini

Alpolini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All, this is my first questions to the forum-hope I am doing this right. :hiya:

I recently bought Panny th42pw7 and started the adventure of building a system. My current system is Sony DAVS800 all in none, which is the equivalent of a 1980s Rolls Royce (Looks & sounds good but nothing is working)

I am currently building the ceiling down/plastering walls etc...so in other words, if I am going to build a system and hide the wires in the walls for speakers, I better start looking for the right equipment now!

This thread is more or less answering my questions but not quite!

I am in between the same Receivers, Denon AVR1905 vs Yamaha RXV650 both around £250. My budget is £1000 for the sound system.

Music and movies will equally be important for me. I have a large CD and DVD collection but ironically I have an even larger mp3 and DivX collection. (The latter two won't even deserve a system like this I presume)I checked the manuals but could not find, do any of this two amps have equalizers in them or at least treble/bass adjustment or is it purely done through the DSPs????? If there is no such adjustment once again, which one do you guys prefer??

My next problem is the DVD player, it must have DivX playback capacity, so I am in between Pioneer DV-470S, DV-575-s and Yamaha DVD S550. Any idea which one is better, is there any other DivX DVD players with such specs out there???

Final question, what Freeview Setup Box is the best, it will go into the receiver, than the TV.

Thank you for reading, I hopefully will be back in two weeks with more questions about speakers this time.

Alp

6. doctorjuggles

doctorjuggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I can help you with a few of your questions:
    Firstly, yes there is another DivX player you should be considering. The Toshiba SD340 is an award winner and is very highly regarded, and also cheaper than the Pioneer DV575. The main difference is that the Toshiba doesn't have the DVD-Audio and SACD playback capabilities that the Pioneer has, but if that doesn't bother you, then the Toshiba is a serious contender.

With regards to the freeview box, I don't have one myself, but from what I've read on this forum, everyone recommends the Sony VTXS800.

As for the receiver question, I can't answer that one, but I'd be very, very surprised if they didn't have adjustable equalizer settings

7. Alpolini

Alpolini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    doctorjuggles, thank you for the quick reply. You are right there is another contender, I am looking into it now. When connecting the DVDs sound out put to the amp, which connection is better Digital Optical or Dig. Coaxial??

None of the freeviews I have seen do not seem to haven a component out?? Why is that, is it because there is no need, signal is not good enough??

You seem to have the similar TV, how do you watch normal television, is the result good??

8. doctorjuggles

doctorjuggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    From everything I know and have heard, there's no answer to your question about digital optical vs digital coaxial. In theory coaxial should be better because it has to go through less decoding processes, but in practice most people think there's very little difference. I just use optical because it's easier, but I personally can't tell the difference.

For my TV I watch through a JS Tech RGB->VGA converter. I was a big doubter to start off, but there really is a massive difference between that and scart. I'd really recommend it, although I'm running a fairly strong signal out of my Sky box into it, so you should consider that too.
    It would work with a freeview box with a scart output, but I've never tested it so I don't know what kind of results it would give.

9. Howard0000

Howard0000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I have the Yam 650 and I love it :D

I can answer any questions if you like?

10. Alpolini

Alpolini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Howard. I am sure Yamaha is good so is denon, the question is which one?? My case is 50/50 usage audio/video. Have you ever listened to the Denon??

You have the DSPs, but can you set the freqs manually, like a graphic equilizer?

I also heard about Pace setup boxes-would you recommend them or is there better picture boxes out there??

thanks

11. thelordmagus

thelordmagus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi there,
    I own the yamaha 650, am happy with it. There are no adjustable equalizer settings as such. You can use different DSP modes (over 40), and manually adjust cross over and bass/treble, like on a stereo amp. The only exception being the pure direct mode, which, as the name says, is the "original" sound only.

Now as a personal opinion, using it for games, movies but also for music, I have tested it so far for a couple of months with only a pair of gale gold monitors because of a budget hole (I'll be using the speakers as rears later on). The sound is clear and crisp with most music genres (tried almost everything), but I would not recommend playing very fast music like death metal (heavy metal is ok, but death - try Dew-Scented or the last Behemoth) on them, as the sound is confused (low frequencies simply vanish, which is not the case with pop or standard rock - Cranberries, Cardigans - or even trip hop - Archive, Massive attack or Portishead). I am certain this is because of the speakers and not the amp, but I will see when I buy neutral speakers. Movies are fine so far, as well as game soundtracks.

Hope that helps,

TLM

12. cribeiro

cribeiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +307
    I have experience with that Denon and a similar Yamaha. I would take the Yamaha. Both have tone controls (bass, treble), and the Yamaha has, in addition, a lot of DSP that you might combine with it. For that, the Yamaha is far more flexible than the Denon.
    It is also far easier to operate the Yamaha than the Denon.
    Apart from sound quality aspects, I found the Yamaha better in all areas you can imagine. Now, coming to sound quality, the Denon sounds more even, so it is better suited for music. Nevertheless, it could be that the Yamaha 650 is better than the 530 (the one I had), so the difference should be less pronounced. It doesn't mean that the Yamaha is bad, only that it has more pronounced high freqs, voices sound less natural and bass is less controlled than with the Denon. I guess the 650 is better in that, and if I were you, I'd go for the Yamaha (I won't mistake twice...)
    Regards.