Yamaha RXV630RDS

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Lucky Scotsman, Dec 18, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Lucky Scotsman

Lucky Scotsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I have a couple of questions about my new RXV630RDS receiver.

1. The base and treble knobs on the front, do these actually do anything? As I can't notice anything when I change them.

2. Does anyone know the manufacture code for an LG 3200E DVD? or where I can find out?

3. On the Yamaha site, it mentions DTS "ES-Compatible". What is the difference between this and DTS-ES Matrix 6.1 and DTS-ES Discrete 6.1?

4. There are A & B speaker terminals for the front left and right speakers. What would this be for?

I know that these may sound like simple questions, but I am new to this.

Thanks,

Colin

2. sc1977

sc1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    the difference i think between matrix and discrete is

matrix is the rear centre channel is matrixed in to the rear surround channels
    and discrete you actually have a dedicated speaker for the rear centre

if you disable the tone bypass you should notice difference when adjusting the bass and treble knobs(not sure if your amp has this though im just going by what i have to do on my A2)

a-b means you can have 2 sets of main speakers running at the same time you can have 1 set in one room and 1 set in another room ie set 1 running off a and set 2 running off b so if yu wanted to listen to music in another room you just press the corresponding channel or you can biwire you speakers, both channel going in to 1 set of speakers enable a and b

abit long winded i know but thats the simplest way i can explain
    i hope this helps m8 :D

3. Lucky Scotsman

Lucky Scotsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, so if I turn on DTS-ES now (with my current 5.1 speakers), I get matrix and when I get a rear center speaker, I will get Discrete 6.1?

I don't see the point in the 2 room option cos all other speakers are still active when A is off and B is on.

My front left and right speakers can be biwired, so would I be best to biwire them with A and B terminals?

Thanks

4. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1. The bass and treble knobs increase and decrease the bass and treble, IMO best left in the neutral postion or "0" postion.

2. Sorry no idea

3. 6.1 Matrix, a matrixed signal is sent to the surround back speaker/speakers via the surrounds.

6.1 Discrete, a discrete signal is sent directly to the surround back speaker/speakers.

If two speakers are used for the SB's then the same signal is sent to both speakers.

4. A/B speakers, you can have two main pairs, may be one pair for movies the other for music, or you can use them for Bi-wiring.

The last Yamaha amp I had advised you not to have A+B on together, no idea on the newer models.

5. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No - If your current set up is 5.1 that is all you will be able to listen to, DD/DTS 5.1, until you add the 6th speaker (surround back) only then will you be able to listen to 6.1 matrix/discrete. Once you have configured your amp for 6.1 then it's all down to the soundtrack of the DVD whether your be listening to matrix or discrete.

There are a few titles out there with Disrete soundtracks, have left a link here, these are R1 but there are R2 with discrete soundtracks, Rush Hour2 and Blade2 come to mind.

6. JayBee

JayBee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not so sure this is true with the 630. It has a virtual cinema mode, which is automatically active when no rear centre speaker is present, which uses the surround speakers to create a phantom rear centre speaker. I think it uses this method when playing 6.1 tracks.

7. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was talking more about the true soundtracks, not phantom and DSP modes. I had the knowledge that the guy was wanting to add another speaker as his amp has 6 discrete channels, adding this would give him true 6.1 depending on the dvd soundtracks. The 630 may well have DSP and phantom modes when you only have 5.1 set up but that doesn't give you 6.1 matrix/discrete, which is what I was trying to explain when the 6th speaker is added.

If this mode is active all the time when no rear channel is used can't you listen to true 5.1? Would have thought there was some way of switching this feature off. Not a lover of DSP and phantom modes myself.

8. JayBee

JayBee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mmmmm :confused: I realize you won't be able to listen to 6.1 tracks in their true form, but I was highlighting the fact that I think the amp still decodes and plays the 6.1 soundtracks of a DVD with only 5 speakers. To be honest the manuals not that clear, but that's how I interpret it.

It only creates a virtual rear speaker if the program calls for it. The 5.1 programs don't require a rear speaker, so one isn't created. However, 6.1 obviously would, so the virtual speaker is created.