1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha RxV630 Remote Question

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jimbo123, Jan 8, 2003.

Tags:
  1. jimbo123

jimbo123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thinking of getting this Receiver but I read somewhere that the only way to adjust the speaker volumes is going into a menu?

As this receiver will be housed in a cabinet with a black smoked door and will get used most in a darkened room.........does this mean I wont be able to adjust the speaker volumes without turning on the lights and opening my cabinet door.......surely not?

TIA

2. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    You can balance the output levels using the test tone so you don't need to see what you are doing. You can also adjust them through the menus, so for this option you would have to open the doors but not turn the lights on if you don't want to (provided that you can read the buttons on the remote). Am I missing something though - all of my amps I have had (4 to date) have worked like this.

3. Nutty

Nutty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    He is right, you can do it all with the remote by ear ...you don't need to get up or even see what your doing.

4. Alsproject

Alsproject

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I think you are confusing people with the question.

You can adjust the main volume with the remote without going into the menus. If you wanted to adjust individual speaker levels so that they all are the same level, you would need to go into the menus (but you shouldn't need to do this too often).

I think the best thing to do is to go to the Yamaha website and download the manual.

Then you can decide if it the amp for you.

5. adewatson

adewatson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Regardless of adjustment just to re-iterate this is a cracking amp supporting all current decoding formats and should you choose to buy I don't think you'll be disappointed!!!!!!!

6. jimbo123

jimbo123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to all who replied.

My Sherwood 945 has buttons on the remote for Front,Rear,Centre and Sub so I guess I've been spoilt.
    The Yam seems to be out of stock at Richer at the mo......Richer being my only option as I'm taking them up on their 3 year buyback and I only have about 10 days left.

I've settled on the Marantz SR4300 and think I'm gonna have the same problem with this having seen the pic of the remote on the Marantz site.
    I should have £250 to come back on the Sherwood as this cost me £499 back in '99.
    How times change.....this was the only sub £500 Reveiver offering 5.1 and DTS back then. :)

So as my Sherwood is in A1 condition with all original packaging, the Marantz should only cost me £9 :)

A nice cheap ugrade hopefully. :)

Thanks again folks for the replies.

7. Nutty

Nutty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hopefully :eek: ...please listen to it before you buy it as only your ears can truely say weather it will indeed be an upgrade. I certainly think it will be but it's not for me (more like stealing it for £9 lol) or if listening isnt possible at the RS your going to then go listen to it in another hi-fi shop and then buy from RS ...bit mean on the other shop perhaps but you could always ask if they can match RS buy back lol ... you never know

8. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Jimbo:

Richer's buy back policy is just that - not a trade in so you can take the amp back and walk out with half what you paid. So you can go elsewhere.

But if you are like me and loyal to RS (or loyal to their buy back policy) then you can take advantage of their 14 day return policy. Here's a brief story to illustrate:

My brother had a Samsung DVD player at the end of it's 3 year buy back just before xmas so we took it back to RS to trade up to the pioneer 656. Unfortunately it was out of stock. OK says I we'll take the Marantz 4200 on trial, expecting them to have the 656 back in stock soon. Anyway after 2 weeks Bro phones RS to say he wants to bring it back to swap for the 656 - still out of stock, but the manager agreed to extend the trial period until the 656 comes back into stock - top result Bro got his money back on the Samsung and isn't without a player until the 656 is in stock.

So my advice is to try the Marantz. IF you have any doubts give them a call in the first two weeks and say you want to swap for the Yamaha - even if they have stock problem's they'll probably agree to just extend the trial period.