1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha RXV630 and upgrade for an Onkyo TXDS595???

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by aspick, Jan 3, 2003.

Tags:
  1. aspick

aspick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    My setup currently comprises of the Kef KHT speaker set (5.1) with an Onkyo
    TXDS595 receiver. I like the DPLII etc. from this piece of kit (one of the
    first to have DPLII) but am tempted to go now for a better sounding
    receiver.

If I had the budget I would probably stretch to the Sony 555 or maybe the
    new Denon 3803 but unfortunately that is probably outside of my budget.

I have been looking at the Yamaha RXV630 but am wondering if I will actually
    hear a major difference between this and the Onkyo???

The Yamaha is an award winner and I would have the flexbility of getting an
    extra rear Kef egg for 6.1 (but probably wouldn't do this immediately due to
    the type of room I have). I don't think I'm actually losing anything from
    the Onkyo but am I actually gaining that much with the Yamaha???

ie. is it that much better musically for example (I have a Pioneer 747 and a
    few DVD-A's and SACD discs)

Has anyone swapped anything similar for the Yamaha and noticed a big
    difference?

Finally, sorry for the long post, does anyone know the cheapest place for
    the Yamaha? (Richer seems to be doing them for £319 which is about the best
    I can find but are out of stock)

Andrew Pick

2. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    to be honest, thats not really an upgrade - more of a side step!
    if your itching to buy then go for it otherwise you would probably be better off and wait another month for denon to launch the 3803 and then get a 3802 at a knock-down price;)

3. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Probably a controversial post, but I think the Denon is a bit thin musically. Your Onkyo is a nice little amp and I reckon you need to get up around £800 for the Sony 555 to hear a big performance improvement. Hang onto it and save up for a few months. There are lots of new amps in that price range due onto the market very soon.

4. Pegleg2001

Pegleg2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Got mine from www.soundsexpensive.com at £345 - a little more expensive than RS (who seem to only have black) but at least it was in stock in Titanium. They have a normal shop in Rugby too and are nice chaps.

Also, saw someone recently bought theirs from France www.multidiscount.com for under £300 (in noir only)!

BTW, it's a great amp.

5. oggy

oggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi guys just bought a yam630 Ti from hifijunkies.co.uk .Spoke to a guy named Sean on the phone they say they will beat any price or at least price match but didn't match Richer sounds or go2camcorder £319.99 & £329.99 accordingly but they have in stock and promised delivery on Monday 6th Jan. (£340.00 +£10.00 delivery).So all in quite happy.Now to save up for the KEF Eggs 2005.

6. 7ThGuest

7ThGuest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi aspick

Had very much this conversation yesterday at: SuperFi, Global & SevenOaks (Newcastle), I am after 6.1 and DPL II - I have the Onkyo 575.

Most of the guys I talked to said that it is not a real upgrade (as already posted) and that as always 'what do you use your equipment for'? All agreed the Yammy was top for HC (in that price bracket) but could really only just hold a tune in comparison with the Denon 1803/Marantz 5300 (very similar amps - same company different badges) I am about 50/50 Music/HC so will probably look more towards the latter amp.

Another fair point brought out was with the Yammy you have some great DSP modes, but does anyone use them!! My last amp was a Yammy 496 with 21 DSP modes I did try them all and yes they all made a 'slight' difference but whan it came to playing anything I stuck with straight DD/DTS/PL? Couldn't see the point of putting another layer of manipulation in where the composer/director hadn't intended.

As said many times on the forum, set your budget then get out and demo them & what sounds right for you is the one (always seems a bit of a cop out that statement - but perfectly true)

Hope it helps :)

7ThGuest

7. Nutty

Nutty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it's of any interest atall I picked up the Yamaha DSP-AX630SE for £289 today at Richer Sounds Coventry ...I am very impressed with it ...after listening to the Marantaz 4300 and the Denon 1802 and the Sony 1070 (at another dealer as RS cov doesnt have a demo room) I decided I liked the Yamaha's sound quality and feature set best ...and RS price just sealed the deal for me :)

It's worth noting that in my opinion the Yamaha isn't all that far behind my old Audiolab 8000LX in stereo. I thought it would be so im running the Audiolab through the Yamaha's preouts for my main speakers but to be honest the Yamaha is much better than I expected it to be with music ...the Audiolab is of course better but not by as much as I thought it would be ...main thing is they sound rather different ...I do like the sound the Yamaha has though, it's very easy to listen to.

8. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Go back for a price match.

£269 @ www.empiredirect.co.uk

9. Nutty

Nutty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: