Yamaha RXV430

Donnacha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi,

anyone got this amp? I'm thinking of getting a new amp for my HC and would like one that handles the DD.EX etc formats. As I have no room for an extra speaker at the rear, how does this perform for "matrixed / phantom" DD EX and DTS ES soundtracks

I've got the Kef Eggs as my speakers

I know there is probably better out there but this suits my needs and budget. Impressions on this amp greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Donnacha

hi donnacha
Ive got a htr5540 receiver same as rxv430rds but titanium it is 6months old . I have ordered marantz7300 and when stock is in ie mines delivered i will be selling the amp for £170 i noticed your in nottingham so you would be able to have a demo.
gonzo:)

Hi Gonzo

that sounds interesting. I'll check the Yamaha site for some details and I'll get back to you.

Thanks for the reply

Donnacha

Gonzo - had a look at the specs - seems good. Strange how they gave it a different product name, when essentially its just a different colour!!

A demo would be good at your convenience. Let me know what suits you.

Cheers

Donnacha

I assume there are reasons beyond wanting an amp to handle DTS-ES / DD-EX as without the 6/7th speaker(s) this will perform exactly the same as an amp without DTS-ES / DD-EX.

If you are buying a new amp ... the new Marantz SR4300 is also worth a look at around £250 from Richer Sounds (though don't goto the Nottingham store - it's attrocious - a trip to Leicester is well worth the time/effort)

Victoria

Donnacha you have a private message gonzo.

Soundog - I thought the Yamaha handles DDEX etc. without the extra speaker using a "phantom" mode. That's why I'm interested in this one as I don't have any room for a 6th speaker. Supposedly it does this the same way that you can use the front main speakers without using a centre speaker, i.e. the centre channel is "matrixed" between the front left & right, simulating a centre speaker. It applies this to the rear speakers. I know its not ideal but reviews I've seen said it is fairly convincing.

That's my reason for interest in this amp.

Cheers

Donnacha

Ahhh IC ... to be honest I've never looked at the specs or seen review of the 430.

I've now realised that it ONLY does a phantom mode for the rear centre. I assume this is like the "virtual" surround systems using delays, etc.

Now how good this will be I don't know ... before you bought I would recomend that you compare your existing amp (what is it by the way) to the 430.

You realise it doesn't have the output for a 6th speaker if you did want it later?

Victoria

I realise it only has a 5.1 speaker output and that I'm not future proofing myself in case I do want that 6th speaker someday!!

I currently have a Yammy RXV496 and i would like to keep it for the TV room. We've got used to it down there, especially its remote that can control all the other appliances. I only run it in stereo, but will by using it for 5.1 'til I get something else for the HC room.

Gonzo has kindly offered me a demo of the Yamaha amp (and maybe even to purchase it!) - so I'll get a good feel for it then. Which reminds me I must call him!!!

In fact when I was in Nottingham Hi-fi a while back the demoed me the Kef speakers using a Yamaha amp, and I'd swear there was a 6th speaker, but there wasn't!! Not sure if that was the amp, but the "virtual" mode seemed very effective.

We shall see. Thanks for the input

Donnacha

Donnacha

From what I can gather the RXV630 is almost the same as the 430 except for the sheer power of its amplifier circuit. I watched monsters inc. having listened to a friend of mine's system with 7.1. My system is set up using 5.1 and "phantom" 6th speaker I have to say you would need to be a real audiophile to hear the difference.

That's good news (just in from pub after seeing Liverpool cock up again!- not happy!!). I'm no audiophile so it sounds promising!

Yamaha RX-V430 can be had for £210 incl delivery at www.leconcepts.com , which can be used to price match at www.hifijunkies.co.uk (who only charge £219 incl del + 2 years warranty anyway) or at a Richersounds branch.

I just bought a Marantz-SR4300 thanks to 7thGuest for £240!

Have fun buying.

Wasabi

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom