Yamaha RXV373 5.1 - too bassy for dialogue?

mak80

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, I live in a flat with thin walls and want to bring out dialogue in movies/games/tv as the sound from Samsung tv isn't too good.

Had 2 Tannoy MX floor standing speakers (and standard Tannoy centre speaker) not being used due to a knackered amp. So, decided to buy a new amp...

Ordered a Yamaha RXV373 5.1 - good price and has HDMI inputs.

After setting everything up and trying every conceivable setting I just can't get the sound to a comfortable level. Can bring the dialogue out but everything is still too bassy.

Also, when using PS3 the surround sound decode option is not selectable (the best sound option I've found via SKY). Is this normal?

These are some options I'm considering and was hoping somebody could advise as to which is the best...

1. Sell the lot and get a Soundbar instead (are they any good?).
2. Sell the amp and get a better one. Could the amp be the problem?
3. Sell the centre speaker and get a better one. Sound from the floor standing speakers is really impressive, although they are biwired and the cheaper centre speaker is not.

I'm leaning towards replacing the centre speaker as I think that's just too bassy, although I'm also considering sending the amp back in case that's the problem.

Would a cheaper centre speaker with less bass output be better perhaps?

Not after an amazing surround sound experience - just want to watch a film without resorting to headphones. Would appreciate any comments.

What centre is it? Which Tannoy? is it the matching MX one?
Where is it placed? Is it in or on a cabinet?
Have you run the auto setup? If so what has it set the speakers to in terms of size/level etc.
Have you tried setting the centre speaker to small with a suitable crossover point?
Have you tried just using the front L/R speakers and removing the centre, so running a 2.0 system? Does this sound better?
What PS3 do you have? Phat or slim one? What do you mean by surround decode option? Can you no select DD/DTS or is it HD audio with blurays? Can you select prologic? Do you get PCM displayed on the screen?
A soundbar is going to worse IMHO and give you less ability to tweak the sound to your tastes so I would not go that route. A better amp could give some gains but if the bassy output is due to the room and/or speaker placement then it will not help much. Tannoy speakers are often recommended for brighter sounding amps like Onkyo or Sony instead of warmer sounding ones like Yamaha. so this could explain some of the muffled vocals if the sound is a little too warm.

The PS3 outputs discrete 7.1 LPCM while you are using its XMB interface. Discrete multichannel formats cannot have surround processing such as Dolby Pro LOgic or DTS NEO applied to them. You should still be able to apply such processing if playing stereo formats via the PS3.

You are complaining about bass yet you are using floorstanding speakers in a small flat? I guess the floorstanders could be one reason for what you are experiencing?

You could try turning the volume down and then using the receiver's Adaptive DRC setting to help boost dialogue?

Tannoy speakers are generally regarded as being warm in nature and this may be causing the bass to sound more dominant than the higher frequencies? You could try different speakers, ones which are more clinical =in nature and less bassy? You'd need to replace the fron stereo pair as welll as the centre in order to maintain the same tonal attributes right across the front soundstage.

Last edited:
It's more to do with the settings and less to do with the speakers and receiver. Check these first before going into positioning of speakers.

As suggested above check what the speakers have been set to on your receiver, you really do not want much bass coming through your centre speaker as this will muddy the vocals. If you have the centre speaker set to large then this will be the issue, so change it to small, leave your mains as large.

With that in mind I didn't see you say anything about a subwoofer, if you do not have one then this is the crucial ingredient that you are missing. Adding a subwoofer will allow you to set all 3 of your speakers to small and have the crossover set to around 80hz, this will give them more clarity in the vocals and other effects and you will add a nice punch to the system, something that floorstanders cannot compete with, depending on the quality of the subwoofer of course :rolleyes:

Marty

Hi, just wanted to say a quick thanks for the advice.
I had already tried a lot of the suggestions and have ultimately decided to send the Amp back in the end as just couldn't get it quite right. Perhaps I will invest in a Sony when finances allow, and try different speakers as well if possible. Personally believe a better amp and centre speaker would be a big help (and introduction of sub woofer too (as suggested above), but can't afford to experiment at the moment. The floor standing speakers are awesome though, great sound at low volume but just needed something a little extra to bring out the dialogue a touch, but the centre speaker I bought made it worse - too muffled/bassy. Thanks again.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom