• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Yamaha RXV1900 and Monitor Audio RS8

AudioFan

Standard Member
Hi Everyone,

I've long been a lurker here whilst considering what to buy as my first home cinema set up. After a long time pondering I have bought the Yamaha RXV1900 just before they all went and am really chuffed with it. Only thing now is to get some speakers. I have read lots of positive reviews of the Monitor Audio RS8 and so was wondering if you guys think this would be a good pairing with this amp. The set up would be used for 50% movies, 30% games and 20% music.

Unfortunately I don't have the ability to audition these speakers with the amp so just wanted to know what the general concensus was by those owning Yamaha amps :thumbsup:

Many thanks in advance!

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
Just got some RS8s to go with ny 1900. I was previously using Mordaunt short 906s as the fronts and I couldn't be happier with the improvment in sound (and the MS 906s were good).

I don't know if you're aware that the MA silver range is being sold at almost half price at the moment. You have to phone the dealers to get these prices --- websites still show full prices. This has been going for a while now, so stocks and available finishes are diminishing.

MA and Yamaha are a common combination.

Here are 3 places to try

Silver RS Range

MONITOR AUDIO Hifi and AV at Hifix

Quantum Electronics (UK) Limited Monitor Audio - Quantum Electronics (UK) Limited

AudioFan

Standard Member
Thanks Dicklodge, I have to admit i only looked at these speakers because i've seen you post quite a bit and noticed them on your sig with your amp :) Also, that coupled with the fact that they're going a lot cheaper now has made me consider buying these now rather than later.

Thanks ever so much for the links. This forum is great, with very patient people. Don't get much of that in forums these days.

David_S14

I've got the 1900 mated with RS8's, GSLCR, and RSFX and have to say that I'm blown away with the combination over my last dated set up. I'm not getting a sub yet as I think with the punch the RS8's can deliver I don't think I'm missing too much. I was a little worried as the RS8's sounded a little muddy out of the box but I'd read on here that they do take some running in and even after a few hours they were sounding better and better.

My usage is about 70% movies, 20% music and 10% games and with the deals on the MA's I think they are a steal. My only caution would be that I think the RS8's need a decent size room to work with (which mine is) as a mate has put his in a smaller room and they don't sound as good but I think that would be the same for most floorstanders.

I got my amp from Quantum (nice guys to deal with) and my speakers from Frank Harvey (HiFix) and David there helped a lot in sorting a good deal for me.

AudioFan

Standard Member
My living room is approximately 5.21m x 3.63m. Would you consider this too small for the RS8's?

AudioFan

Standard Member
Well just bit the bullit and ordered RS8 front, RXLCR centre (didn't have the RSLCR in matching colour and got a slight discount too) RS1's rear. Coming next week and soooooo looking forward to them. Didn't go for a sub just yet as just outside of my budget at the mo.

Thanks for your help guys!!

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
Well just bit the bullit and ordered RS8 front, RXLCR centre (didn't have the RSLCR in matching colour and got a slight discount too) RS1's rear. Coming next week and soooooo looking forward to them. Didn't go for a sub just yet as just outside of my budget at the mo.

Thanks for your help guys!!
Well I was a bit nervous about spending the money, even at the discounted prices, especially as I was getting a very good sound from my Mordaunt Shorts. But I'm so glad that I did! :thumbsup: These kinds of bargains aren't going to come along very often.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom