Question Yamaha RXV1800 Replacement ?

kb33

Enjoyed my RXV1800 for over 11 years now , and thinking of upgrading to a 4K TV OLED , wondering what to replace my trusty Yamaha with , I love to listen to music through Apple TV and watch movies , I just have a 5.1 system and don't plan adding any further speakers or upgrading to ATMOS .
So I'll need something that's good with music and decent with surround sound and pass through 4K video . I haven't looked at receivers for years now so no idea of any advancments or new features , so any help is much appreciated.

Rambles

Distinguished Member
There are ways to keep your current non 4K receiver, with a new 4K TV. Just connect your 4K video sources directly to the TV, and either run a separate cable from them to your amp for audio, or pass the audio through the TV.

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
If you do enjoy your amp and don't really wish send it to AV heaven, why not look at something from Emotiva, The MC-700 is a fantastic product. Using your multi-channel inputs on the RXV1800 will allow you to keep this beast from the past.

You could keep the Apple for music via it's original input, or see how the Emotiva/Yamaha combination works plus send everything else via the new processor

If you are truly looking to replace Yamaha Amp, then what sort of budget do you have in mind?

kb33

If there's a way to keep my amp and still enjoy 4K TV , I'd do that in an heart beat . Thanks for the responses I'll look further , At the moment I have Apple TV 4K - RXV 1800 - TV .

kb33

So will I need Apple TV 4K - HDMI to 4K TV HDMI
Yamaha RX V 1800 - HDMI to HDMI arc 4K TV

Would this work ?

dante01

Distinguished Member
Your RXV1800 AV receiver predates ARC and isn't ARC enabled. You'd have to rely upon an optical audio connection to relay audio from your TV to the receiver if connecting sources directly to the TV and passing audio through it. This shouldn't be an issue as long as not wanting to pass HD formats such as DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby TrueHD or anything more than 2 channel PCM through the TV.

Last edited:

kb33

OK thanks , Don't really want to take a backwards step and be without HD sound . So what would a suitable amp be to replace my RXV 1800 ? Considering I don't want or need 4K upscaling ATMOS etc , just something to pass through 4K video and sound as good or better than the Yamaha.

dante01

Distinguished Member
You'd not get a receiver with a comparable power rating that doesn't also include Atmos. Only the entry level receivers will omit video scaling, but there's no obligation to use either the scaling or the Atmos capabilities.

I'd suggest either the Yamaha RXA2070 (last years model) or a Marantz SR7012 (again, a model from last year). Either of this should give you about the same power and headroom you are accustomed to with your current receiver.

All in all though, it really depends on what kind of a budget you have at your disposal?

dante01

Distinguished Member
Something else you need to be made aware of is that the Apple TV 4K doesn't access any streaming service that includes HD audio and the ATV cannot output HD formats anyway. It would be other sources such as UHD disc players that would be outputting such audio, but such players ordinarilly include 2 HDMI outputs anyway. You'd use one to convey UHD video directly to a display while using the second HDMI output to convey HD audio to an older receiver lacking HDCP 2.2 compliance.

kb33

Yeah I’m watching Netflix now and the amp is showing pcm , I get HD audio through my Oppo 83 , but obviously no 4K , the optical cable from the 4K TV to amp might be the most cost effective route as this could get really expensive if I have to upgrade everything .

EasterEEL1

I have recently purchased the RX-A1070 to replace my trusty RX-V1800 purchased in 2006. for me it has slotted in perfectly, with lots of improvements. It's power rating is lower but I haven't noticed any difference both easily go loud enough for my 5.1 setup.

It is available for £749 (PT even offering trade in) and although missing a few things compared to this years RX-A1080 (which is typically £1199). Such as wireless rear speakers, Surround A1, nothing I am particularly bothered about.

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
As @EasterEEL1 is the first person who has done what you was originally asking for, I would listen to him as he has already had been through the upgrade path, all be it in a different room with different speakers and ears. It should give you an indication that upgrading to a newer model will still sound good though. If you do not wish to lose out on power, then you'll be looking at the bigger models, but the Yamaha Aventage range is very good indeed.

If you still wish to keep your amp though, you can still use it via the multi-channel inputs to the Emotiva MC-700 and allow that to work with the ARC and remaining sound formats. Do note that if you decide to use Atmos, then you would be better of purchasing a newer amp in order to use this feature ultimately meaning a complete new av amp :)

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom