1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

yamaha rxv1500 vs denon avr 2805?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jumar, Jun 5, 2005.

Tags:
  1. jumar

jumar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i think ive narrowed it down to one of these amps!!!!
    they need to drive kef kht 2005.2 in 5.1....
    anyone tip the scales for me ? :lease:

2. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    cannot comment on the Yammy but I owned the Denon and I loved it and wish I had never sold it. Musical and great with movies, when set to front it sounds great and is as good as its dearer brother the 3805.

Should drive your KEFS rather well too as at the time I was using the similar Sony 835's......

Cheers,

Pete.

3. jumar

jumar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks pete!
    never had anything denon before, are they easy to set up and are the menus idiot proof!!!! cause i kind of know the yamaha dsp modes quite well...

4. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Dead straight forward to set up.....set up menu can go on screen too and also has component up conversion.The 2805 comes with a set up mic too ~ so set up is a doddle bar the odd tweak.

Personally I avoid all DSP's as I like vanilla sound, ideally as it was recorded and as before, if you set the speakers to front the Denon seems to take off and sounds bloddy great.

Nice and warm with music too and eeks detail out of the most testing CD's. I also piped the x-box through it and Ghost Recon 2 sounded like World War 3 in my lounge!

Plenty of dedicated Denon uses on the forums so advice readily at hand. The 2805 is a great machine and best mid range rec' on practically every home cinema mag on the market.

Welcome to the forums by the way!

Pete.

5. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Don't overlook the Marantz offerings in that price bracket. They have a similar flavour to the Denon's but with bags more power and better build quality IMO. :)

6. SBanga

SBanga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    I've haven't heard the Yammy but IMHO the 2805's good but doesn't sound as good as my Yamaha DSPAX750SE, never mind a model further up the range!

7. cliveuk

cliveuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    ive not heard the Denon but i have the Yamaha RX-V1500 and ive been very impressed by it both for music and movies. i guess the only way to know for sure which one will suit you best is to demo them both if possible
    Both are very capable receivers

8. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +877
    I use the 2805 with Kef KHT2005.2, albeit in 6.1 rather than 5.1, and am delighted with the combination, as is the other half (the one who must be obeyed).

Try to get an audition somewhere - I'm sure you'll be impressed. Don't know where you are but, if it's anywhere near me, you're welcome to pop in for a listen.

Anyway, whichever way you go, I hope you'll be happy.

Cheers,

Martin.

9. jumar

jumar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    im in cumbria and its crap for getting demos on amps!!!
    its finding the time to do a 250 mile round trip to a dealer thats going to have both these models in stock and want to be bothered to give me the time to demo them!!

thanks for all the info guys
    i am loving this site its better than talking to the 16 year old know nothing in the local big retailer,you know the one i mean the one with the big red and white sign begining with *c*. keep it coming!!!!!

10. Passingbat

Passingbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,335
    I've just bought a Yamaha RX-V1500 from Peter Tyson (via the web). They are in Cumbria and although I'm not sure, I was under the impression they have a shop as well. Their address is in cumbria, so may be worth giving them a call to check. They also stock Dennon

Peter Tyson, 6 Abbey Street Carlisle, Cumbria, CA3 8TX

http://www.petertyson.co.uk/index.shtml

BTW, Love the Yamaha, but am running it with Mordaunt Short speakers (which I also love) so can't advise on your decision with regard to Kef's

11. jumar

jumar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks dicklodge!!! i will def check them out next weekend...arrange a demo and that!
    by the way why did you choose the yamaha over the dennon 2805 ? or was it not a contender? regards mark....

12. Passingbat

Passingbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,335
    Hi jumar,

Brand familiarity mainly. I have a Yamaha HI-FI amp that I bought about 25 years ago which I was always very pleased with and although I don't use it these days, it still works. I'm new to home cinema and spent a lot of time browsing these forums to do research as to which kit to buy. The fact that a lot of people have and like Yamaha units sealed it for me. Unfortunately, I'm not able to get to demo things, so depend on reviews and peoples' feedback to make my decisions.

13. mikeaitch

mikeaitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Don't know what you're likely to pay for the 2805, but I and many others have bought the Yamaha 2500 which I prefered to the 3805, with the added bonus of THX postprocessing, for £530 all in

Bargain! :D

14. Passingbat

Passingbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,335
    That's also on the RX-V1500. Good price for the 2500 though ---- was that from Germany?

15. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +877
    Peter Tyson actually has two shops in Carlisle, one that sells TV's and, if I remember correctly, white goods as well - the other is vey much an AV shop where you should be able to get a good demo of anything they stock.

Cheers,

Martin.

16. mikeaitch

mikeaitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Yep -TSN Versand

Came in 3 days :smashin:

17. jumar

jumar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just when i thought i had narrowed it down to the denon 2805 and the yam 1500 i find some great prices for the vsx-2014i and the rxv-2500 which would be in budget!!!! ive phoned arround my local dealers 200 mile radius and can't get demos so i will have to take advice from you guys again on this one!the amp will need to drive kht 2005.2 and its mainly for t,v, movies,then music it also would have to complement a panasonic th42pv500cab i currently run it with a yam dspax620 which is doing a good job of it but like allways the grass is often greener on the other side but sometimes its just dark brown!!! hence advice req regards mark...

bloody germans ha!!!!

18. Ambient Fish

Ambient Fish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Hi Jumar, as can be seen from my kit list I have paired a Yamaha RX-V2400RDS with KEF Q speakers (these have very similar drivers to the KEF KHT 2005 eggs), in combination they produce a crisp clear sound that warms my ears up every time I use it. I mainly listen to CDs in PLIIx but when I feel like a movie then I just move the switch on my sub over to the movie position and hey presto instant thud. I can not advise on the Denon amp but I can say that if the amp is of the same quality as the Denon DV 2900 then you would not be disapointed by it, good luck.