1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha RXV1400 or DSP AX750 with my monoblock driven Rogers LS3/5A's?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by paultb, Jul 26, 2005.

Tags:
  1. paultb

paultb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All! Here's something for you to chew over!! :confused:
    I am looking for an AV amp/receiver to move into the world of surround sound. However, my music is extremely important as I listen more than I watch movies. I currently run a Musical Fidelity CDT (The 'Frogeye' Class A CD player with valve output) into MF 'The Preamp', and bridged 'Typhoon' power amps. These drive a pair of Rogers LS3/5A's (15 ohm!!). The system is old but sound is fab. I have a Pioneer DV-626D (bought in malaysia!) and I have recently bought a set of Mission FS1/AV surround speakers (5:1).I am now looking for an amp to drive them.

I would really appreciate some advice on how to go about this. I would ideally like to have the Rogers as my front speakers in a 5:1 or 6:1 set-up, but don't want to lose music quality. I have the opportunity of a 2nd hand Yammy rxv1400 or the DSPAX750SE. Now, I have seen alot of previous threads arguing over this particular comparison and the 1400 seems to come out best on music quality, but with many of you raving about the 750's Pure Direct setting.

The question is, which of these amps will be best to drive the Rogers? More to the point, given their 15 ohms impedence, will either amp drive them properly in a surround set-up? I have been advised elsewhere to use the front speaker pre-outs to the monoblocks and drive the Rogers that way.

I am not too fussed about all the extra bits on the 1400, eg THX, but did get the impression that overall quality was higher. I also fancy the YPAO as I am not central to the room. I am happy to try anything to get good surround sound but keep excellent music quality. My MF Preamp is playing up a bit and I am loathe to shell out on having it repaired if I can get the same quality of sound from an AV amp.

PS I am poor! I am trying to do this with approx £300, hence the 2nd hand options.

Thanks in anticipation :)

Paultb

2. The Hemulen

The Hemulen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    As a LS3/5A user myself I would really suggest that you keep the two systems completely separate. The speakers would really struggle in a home cinema set-up (in maximum volume if nothing else) plus they are too valuable to risk damaging like this I'd say!
    I'd think you've already got the answer in your message.. You have a 5.1 speaker system plus a DVD player and you seemed to have lined up a suitable amp. I'd set the missions up to suit the TV location and the audio system placed for best stereo image. The missions you have are probably more tolerant of room loction than most.
    If the preamp is on it's way out then you could use the Yam as a preamp (or better still buy or make a passive one).

3. paultb

paultb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Posh Bloke, thanks for the reply, but I'm a bit confused! If I use the Yam as a pre-amp, surely the Rogers would then become part of the surround set-up as they would be connected to the front speaker pre-outs. Or do you mean use the two fronts of the Yam 7:1 set-up for stereo and the rest for 5:1 surround?
    I'm not too clear about the Direct setting for best stereo on either the 1400 or the 750, I assume they are for the fronts only. Does this include fronts attached via pre-out as I would have the Rogers?

Thanks

Paultb

4. The Hemulen

The Hemulen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Using the Yam as pre-amp I'm assuming that it has a 'speakers off' switch as most do. You'd need to check this.
    'Direct' setting varied on different amps as to what it bypasses. Typically tone controls and surround settings are bypassed. Some amplifiers also switch off all video switching circuitry as well in this mode. Again check in the manual.