yamaha rxv1067- best buy at £500??? HELP!

raj1981

Standard Member
Reaction score
hello!

wanted to know your opinion on the 1067 amp by yamaha.

i currently have

603 s3 fronts
602.5 sides and rears
lcr600 centre

i am looking for 2 subs and had my mind set on some 2nd hand asw675s.

What i really would like help with is with my £500 budget, is the yamaha rxv1067 the best amp to go for? PLZ HELP!

Why do you want 2 subs?
Normally you are much better buy one more expensive sub compared to 2 cheaper ones. This is because it can be difficult to get one sub to work at its best in a room but trying to get 2 complicates this even further. Also getting 2 subs the same will not get you any lower bass, all it will give is just a little more spl (volume).
As far as the amp goes it is a very good amp and well worth £500.

Could i ask where you are getting it for £500?
Thanks!

Im torn between this and the 67 at the mo, just looking if the extra cash is worth it, need to buy a new projector as well.

slightly worried about the grey line thing now as haven't read that before.

What about for a little more looking into the rx-v771.

@psm1

i hope you dnt mind me racking your brains furthur?

i heard a lot of people talking about disbursement and balance with the bass. currently i can hear where my bass comes from which is quite annoying. whats your opinion on this? maybe buying the b&w sub would rectify this. i really cant change the position of the sub. i have one yamaha sub now...

also ive been reading a lot about the 602.5's. some people have negative views about their clarity. i have a pair of 601s which i can use as rear surrounds. is this a better option?

cheers!!!

@dazpoynter

when i called yamaha about components and differences thay told me (that even going back as far as the 1065) that the 1067 is a much better amp. its the beginning of their midrange amps whereas anything less ie 667 767 867 or the newer 671 771 are still enrty level hence using "not as good" components. but did mention feature wise that newer amps may have features that the older amps dont.

If you are after sound, go with 1065 or 1067 (1067 is £350!!! no network capability and isnt 3d capable is the major differences to the 1067 which will cost £350)

If you need to be upto date then you probably should go for the 771.

maybe listen to them and see which you like! hope that helps!

On your problem with the bass it sounds like a crossover issue more than the placement of the sub. Bass is non directional under about 80Hz I think and then gets more directional as you go to higher frequencies. What is your crossover set too. If you have 2 subs but the same crossover as present then you will just have 2 sources of bass that you can localise. The issue with 2 subs is how they will interact with each other which can get bass reinforcement and cancellation. For most people one good sub is going to be better than 2 subs for the same money.

@psm1

my crossover is set to 50-60hz. i dont have 2 subs at the moment. was just thinking if it would be a good idea. im really keen on the asw675. do you think 1 of those will match upto a pair of 603's. i will go with your idea and try to save my money and see how everything sounds.

my other main issue was the idea if whether having "large" (602.5) or "small" (601) speakers as side and back rears. how all that would effect the duties of the subwoofer. ive heard varying views on this...

Creative audio might have the yamaha 1067 cheaper because I got a 2067 for £729 what is a steal, did think about the 3067 but you get 10w power to each channel and maybe something very slight but the specs are identical certainly not worth the extra cost compared to the 2067.

It says on their site 1067 at just over 1/3 its original price what was £850. Come back and us know how you on raj.

That was unlucky because I know they had only had a few units at the low price and when I bought mine they had a couple left because most of them were on a pre-order. My 2067 arrived this morning and its pretty heavy or I am getting weak

Last edited:
@potshot

so what's your views on the differences between the 1067 and 2067 and if it is worth paying £200 more?

I think it is for the better upscaling chip HQV1900 and for the extra amp power.

ok. i read somewhere it has the facility of adding 2 extra channels. 2 fronts ceiling???

I demo'd the 1067 and 3067 recently using my own kef iq range speakers.

i have to say that both amps preformed well. however 3067 has more control and detail to the sound as to be expected.

not sure how best to explain this...I.e the bass was better controlled , so it doesnt just get all boomy during a scene. and higher freq detail is more prominent.

was hoping to compare the 2067 as well - but they didnt have that available.

i would expect the 2067 to sound similar to 3067 base don the specs....

@whiterabbit
i can get the 1067 at £500 and the 2067 at £700 but that would be exceeding my budget. what do you think?

I read a post on here what said the 2067 bass was better and more controlled and more detailed compared to the 1067. The HD picture will be better because the 2067 has the HQV1900 chip and the 1067 doesn't.

Where did you see the 2067 for £700 because thats an extremely good price.

@potshot

im thinking now 2067. save up for one. problem is as it is discontinued, yamaha is running out of stock quicktime. my friend also mentioned however that today there should be a price reduction!!! so we will have to see...cross my fingers!

my friend manages a hifi store. staff discount. :)

raj if your friend runs a hi-fi shop why don't you have a listen to the different amps.

@potshot

his particular store is in manchester. i live in london. i could still listen to them in my local though. i guess i should really. still appreciate everyone's views! thanks!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom