1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha RXV 750 - a little lightweight

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jtt1888, Jun 7, 2005.

Tags:
  1. jtt1888

jtt1888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi guys
    Just hooked one of these units up as a replacement for a Yamaha 630 RDS. I wasnt expecting fireworks but i did hope for a decent improvement in performance given that the 630 output is 75w as opposed to the 100w output per channel from the 750.
    I now find i have to turn the volume up to around -25db for normal listening which is actually higher than the setting i had on the 630(around -30db).
    I use them with AE Evo s front and centres but no sub. Missions are used for the surrounds.
    Has anyone any experience of this amp. I set it up using the supplied microphone and auto set up facility.It doesnt matter which source i am using.
    Help!!!!

2. Van300

Van300

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Try turning the volume up for each system and see which one distorts first. This would be a better comparision to show which is really light weight! I am sure the Yama will win.

Do not assume that sound level readings between one make and another are equal. It is just a volume level reading like 1-10. It does not actually relate to true db reading for obvious reasons.

3. Cliff

Cliff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,737
    By looking at volume positions you are comparing the gain of each amplifier and not the power. Gain is easy! Power costs money..

I would expect the 750 will be louder before distortion sets in even if the volume is at 11!

4. tamthetim

tamthetim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks guys
    Messed around with some of the manual set up settings and things have improved. Has anyone else used the auto set up and would a sub be recommended to assist with the LF as my room is quite big(10m x 5m wide)

5. Van300

Van300

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Definately yes.

6. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    buy a sub too...

7. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    A good quality sub will encahnce your movie and games experience espectialy if you get get it well integrated, because when it is you hear and feel so much more of the film/game. I think you should look at the sub forum but you'll have to spend a couple of hundred otherwise it would be useless.

8. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,237
    This is because the volume controls on the AX750 work in a different way to your 630. The 630 volume worked in a linear fashion ie with the volume half way up it was half way to maxiumum power. With the AX750 volume control, and to be honest most current AV receivers, the volume control works on a logarithmic scale which allow much finer control over volume levels a low volume but increases rapidly at higher volumes. I wouod expect to be running the AX750 at about -15dB to -5dB for movie sessions, this is quite normal.

9. alphabet

alphabet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry if I rain on your parade, but I have had a Yamaha receiver until about a month ago(RX-V650) and I always felt that it was underpowered. The multiple DSPs were nice in the beginning, but after a while you find yourself trying to tweak the sound every time you change a DVD and it becomes a fruitless operation.

Don't get me wrong the Yamahas are nice units, but I feel that as with so many receivers, the quoted performance figures are hugely inflated.

Subsequently I have replaced the Yammie with a Cambridge Audio 540R and I am very impressed with the sound in stereo and movie mode, the apparent power in reserve and the lack of bells and whistles.

I understand that the volume control is not linear, but these are the measurements I have taken on both receivers at -20 Db:

Yamaha - 99.4 db
    CA - 107.2 db

I my own confused mind I made the deduction that the CA was in fact more powerful and in case anybody asks, the Yamaha distorted sooner than the CA although the SPL levels on the CA was much higher.

Okay, just my pennies' worth