1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha rxv 650

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Slynx, Jan 16, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Slynx

Slynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I hoping someone here can help
    After many many hours of 'fiddling', I can't get my system up and running correctly.
    Equipment consists of the following:
    Panasonic 42"PW6 with scartboard
    Panasonic e65 DVD recorder/player
    Yamaha RXV650 receiver
    Sky Panasonic DSB 40 decoder

Scart lead from screen to s video on amp (O.K.)
    How do I connect the rest up?
    My biggest problem is the DVD recorder connections to Sky and amp. According to the manual, both Sky and dvd will not connect with each other (i.e. daisy chain), but independently to the amp, in other words, the dvd recorder plugs into the amp and Sky plugs into the amp If this is the case, how do you record from Sky? I cannot see how this will work. Is it due to the fact that the amp takes care of the signals leaving and entering it from Sky and DVD?
    As I said, I hope someone can help, as I've now got serious brain fade! :(

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I have a Yamaha 640 amp setup which is similar to yours.

I have the amp connected to my plasma with an s-video cable. The Sky box is connected to the amp via s-video (it's Sky+). My Panasonic DVD recorder is connected to the amp using an s-video cable. I also have a scart cable connecting the sky+ box to the DVD recorder, so I can record from Sky+ independent of the settings of the amplifier.

The only thing which may cause you a problem is in the Sky box, as I believe that only Sky+ has s-video output, but I'm sure you can work around this.

3. Slynx

Slynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hello Nick UK

So what you are saying is that I still need a connection from Sky directly to the dvd to be able to record, or is it simply just to enable you to record without switching on the amp?
    The connections on sky are scarts, one for 'tv' and other for 'video'. I take it then that 1 scart to s-video lead (sky tv to amp) and 1 s-video to s-video lead (dvd to amp, this has scart as well as s video to amp) will do the job. Or should I use scart to s-video lead from dvd to amp instead of s-video to s-video?
    Many thanks for the quick reply

4. Slynx

Slynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Nick UK,

Sorry, forgot to ask. I assume s-video does carry sound as well, so will not need phono leads?
    Thanks

5. F G Evans

F G Evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    S-video does not carry sound on its own - you will either have to use the common red, white phone leads that often come with the s-video lead or simply a co-axial or optical lead for the sound.

6. Slynx

Slynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    O.K. I'm starting to get my head around this lot now.
    Here are a few more questions.
    My Sky box has 2 'RGB' enabled sockets. Am I right in saying that a scart to s-video lead will not work going to the Yamaha rxv650, and that I need a converter box in-line for it to work? If this is the case what is the recommended box here?
    According to the rxv650 manual I can connect Sky and dvd recorder to it. Is this the best way to go? The dvd shouldn't be a problem as it has component, scart and s-video in/out. The amp also has component in/out, but as I only have a scart board in the PW6, this will not work - will it? Would it be better for me to spend more money (use'd to that now with this plasma game!) and buy a component board for the screen and go through all this connection lark again.
    Your help is appreciated again :rolleyes: