1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha rxv 640

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by mwallan, May 29, 2003.

Tags:
  1. mwallan

mwallan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Just got some kef eggs and I am wondering what amp to buy to go with the speakers.

I will use the system for movies 80% and 20% music.

I was going to buy the Yamaha rxv 630 but now I can see the new yam 640 is out...

Is this the best amp for me and where is the best place to get it, the bet price I can see is £356
    http://www.qed-uk.com/?i=0_Q__a3o-KVK&vp=6&bg=212&bp=640s&bi=0

This is going to be my first system so any help or ideas are welcome. :D :clap:

Cheers
    Marc

2. Jimmysil

Jimmysil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi mwallan

I have the 630 and I think its a great amp for movies.
    I use kef cresta speakers and they work well with my amp.

Before I had a Marantz SR4200 which although was not as good as the yammy for films, I think the marantz was slightly better for music.

Wilber has a pioneer 811, which he is very pleased with.

But the 640 maybe a good choice to go for if films are more important.

Best thing to do is have a listen to one if you can.

Hope this helps

Jimmysil

3. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Jimmy is right about the Yamaha - great amps shame about the looks. The 811 & the 630 are IMHO the pick of the bunch at their price point so the 640 is probably a good choice - I'd want to have a listen myself but I understand that not everyone has that luxury.

I'm a lover of bargains though so at the mo I'd have a look to see if anyone has a 630 they're selling cheap - they are like hen's teeth but if the price is right I'd go that way (the 640 improvements over the 630 would not make me want to upgrade). Another bargain bucket job at the mo is the Denon 2802 - may be a bit more than the 640 but you're getting more for your money and it is "better" for music than the yamaha 630, if you must use your av amp for music (my pioneer is still upset over me talking about how it handles stereo). But that's a story for another day .....

4. mwallan

mwallan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Thanks for the advice guys I will take a look at the Denon 2802 as I will use the amp for music as well.

anything else i should consider.

I have a Sony Widescreen kv32fx66
    dvd player sd-220e

5. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    For slightly better music ... have a look at the Marantz range too ... the SR4300 and SR5300 would fit your budget I think.

6. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    ahh sounddog - marantz good for music, but mmmmmmm when it comes to movies when compared to the superstars of the price range. And some problems have been reported here so hard for me to recommend and just to complete the set the Denon 1803 is nice for music & pretty good for movies but has no pre-outs & the entry level Onkyos are knockout with movies but awful with stereo & have no pre-outs & the Sony is loved by What Hi-fii but few others

7. mwallan

mwallan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Hi wilber

I have seen the Denon 2802 for £299 is this a good price

What about cables what should I go for ???

Cheers
    Marc

8. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Is that new? If it is just buy it before some else does (if the colour suits) If it's 2nd hand & fairly new that's around the right money.

Which cables?

speaker cables - you'll get into a huge debate on that one but for Eggs I'd (thats me) go for QED stuff at around £2.50 per metre for fronts, you can get away with the basic QED cable for the rears (they do a nice one thats flat by the way that goes under your carpet)

DVD to amp - a digital coaxial is favourite (if your dvd player supports it) but don't go mad - it's the law of diminishing return. £20- £25 is more than enough for us mere mortals (QED again for me)

CD (or dvd) to amp analogue - I'm a huge fan of Coppertech alpha (£20 ish a pair)

9. mwallan

mwallan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    I hope its new !!!!! I have just emailed the shop and its not to far from me in London so at that price I might buy my amp ASAP !!!!
    Cheers for the advice for cables all I need to get is the right connectors for my Xbox and im away !!!!.

10. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    xbox connection - you need the xbox "super scart" (can't remember the correct name) + an optical connector - I've got the bog standard JVC one that John Lewis sold - it's fine. All you need then is a plasma screen to play Halo in all its glory

11. mwallan

mwallan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    has anybody used Hyperfi as they have the denon 2802 for £249 !!!!

12. Oddbodd

Oddbodd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I've just bought a DSP-AX630SE off Hyperfi for £210.00 delivered. I was told over the phone that it was brand new but when it arrived you could tell the box had been opened before. When I looked at the reciept closely you can make the letters "grd"out (graded me thinks :( ). I was going to phone up and complain but having had a good look at the amp it seems in as-new condition and for the price I think it's still a good deal, just p*ss*d off I was lied to :mad: .
    Cheers Oddbodd.

p.s. anyone know what the hell graded means/stands for?

13. Grimley

Grimley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It means (in the electrical retail trade) the product has some cosmetic damage (nothing wrong with it but it will have been damaged at some time in its life) or refurbished - found to faulty1st or 2nd time returned to manufacturer, repaired & re-sold to a retailer.

Graded products can be a bargain if you get a good product with a small amount of cosmetic damage but you can buy a real lemon at times with nothing but problems, but you can get the same problems with brand new electrical products too.

You should get the same G/tee with a graded product as you would with a brand new product unless the retailer states otherwise at the time of sale. I would contact who you bought it from & find out what kind of g/tee you have & what to do if it goes wrong if I were you.

HTH

14. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Have you phones to check that they have it - many dealers advertise stock (which I'm sur ethay have ,,,,,,, mmmm) but when you phone it's always been sold, would you like something else ....

15. mwallan

mwallan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    I will have to wait till friday to find out if they have any stock and also arrange for a demo of the Yam and the denon

16. Oddbodd

Oddbodd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    It came with 12 months guarantee so pleased about that, and I've had that gag about "sorry sir it's just been sold, could I interest you in somethig else", yeah pull the other one.
    Cheers Oddbodd

17. mwallan

mwallan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    well i got the denon 299 brand new !!!! had a choice of black or gold. the 249 was for a ex display, all i have to do is set it up !!! any tips would be good

18. Jimmysil

Jimmysil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cool, thats a very good price as well.:clap:

Setting up:

Best thing to do is to put the kettle on and have a cup of tea while you have a good read of the instructions.

Make sure you correctly wire up the speakers BEFORE turning on the amp.

Use a Coaxial or Optical cable to connect your DVD player to the denon.

If you are using an Xbox as the dvd player, you will need the special AV thing. I believe its an optical connection.

More to follow if required.