Yamaha RXV 473 fault

Sandman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My dad just bought one of these receivers and after 2 days use has developed a fault. According to him it turned itself off and wouldn't go back on. I went round to take a look and pressing the power button does nothing except cause the led to flash red a few times. Is there anything I can try to bring it back to life before he returns it?

It sounds as though the amp has invoked its onboard protection circuitry? Try unplugging it from the mains and leaving it for an hour. You should use this time to find out what caused the issue. I'd suggest disconnecting everything, especially the speakers who's wires may be shorting and may be the cause?

Thanks, I just phoned him and told him to try that. I will report back with the results.

Please read the Manual on the accompanying CD or download it from Yamaha

It has all the information regarding Invoked Protection Mode.
Basically you have placed a prolonged short circuit on the speaker terminals or;
Used incorrect impedance speakers below 8 ohms or;
Have not set up the amplifier to use lower impedance speakers
The default is 8 ohms. Direct connect to voice coil (Not through a capacitor)

Remove speakers and check and double check they are 8 ohms and have no additional components in line.
To Reset to Factory defaults press "straight" button and hold and then the "on" button
red light shown will go out and a command appear.
Follow the instructions in the manual by pressing the "Program Right" button etc
If you cannot pass the first stage. The Amp has been damaged.

Return the unit to the dealer. He will try a reset as above
Or replace the unit if it is less than 2 months old.

Never add or remove speakers with the amp turned on. Switch off and remove plug from mains first. Good luck

Last edited:
PS Switching the unit off and on will not clear the protection mode
Again I stress that it is necessary to read the Manual and carry out a correct setup
This is a great budget AV unit with the Price in Australia now at $481.00.
Dare I say it. Its better than my sons latest Pioneer but one. !

Apologies a typo error. ... The first entry should read Press the "straight" button Not the 'search' button Then the "On" button whilst holding the straight button down.
Sorry for any inconvenience.

Hello,
Looking for some help.
I bought a Yamaha RXV473 AV receiver. Everything worked fine, except I could not get it to airplay any video so I chose to updated the firmware. When finished, the front panel displayed "ERROR! 2000". Now all of the display menus are unreadable on the TV screen. Just a bunch of garbled characters. Any ideas???? The unit seams to work fine, just can't ready any of the menus such as SETUP, NET RADIO, USB and so on.
Thanks,
Lou

Last edited:
Hello,
Looking for some help.
I bought a Yamaha RXV473 AV receiver. Everything worked fine, except I could not get it to airplay any video so I chose to updated the firmware. When finished, the front panel displayed "ERROR! 2000". Now all of the display menus are unreadable on the TV screen. Just a bunch of garbled characters. Any ideas???? The unit seams to work fine, just can't ready any of the menus such as SETUP, NET RADIO, USB and so on.
Thanks,
Lou

The amp can only access audio via its networking abilities and not video. This is common amongst AV receivers with networking abilities and they only play audio sourced via their DLNA and Airplay capabilities.

In order to correct the Firmware error, you need to go to Yamaha's online resources and download the appropriate firmware. Instruction on what to do with the firmware file will be included with the file.

http://download.yamaha.com/search/d...tegory_id=16446&product_id=1643029&1352655317

Last edited:
Thank you so much. That solved the problem. So just to clarify, if I have a movie on my iPhone, I cannot airplay it via the RXV473 and watch it on my TV? I would need to buy an apple TV device to do this?
Lou

Thank you so much. That solved the problem. So just to clarify, if I have a movie on my iPhone, I cannot airplay it via the RXV473 and watch it on my TV? I would need to buy an apple TV device to do this?
Lou

Yes. AV amps with networking only deal with audio in conjunction with their networking abilities meaning only audio formats can be accessed via these abilities.

An Apple TV is one solution and probably the best option is heavily reliant on Airplay and or Apple iTunes. There are other means by which to convey both audio and video formats over a network and the most prevalent would be DLNA and uPnP. DLNA would still require an intermediate render box to facilitate video streaming of files to it prior to outputting the rendered audio and or video to the AV amp.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom