1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question yamaha rxa870 setup

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by lenny89, Apr 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. lenny89

lenny89
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    5.1 setup
    Samsung QLED QE75Q7F
    4 ceiling speakers (monitor audio pro 80s)
    Monitor audio radius 200(centre)
    Rel tzero sub
    Yamaha rxa 870 amp

i used the ypao mic for speaker config and it said some of my speakers where large speakers but they are all the same size 8inch ceiling speakers and its also saying the speaker distance is crazy!
    saying my FRONT LR are 24ft away its like the mic has doubled each speaker distance is that normal?

2. MacVee

MacVee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I think that is a long running quirk with YPAO.

I used to own a rxa1030 with satellites all around and sometimes the amp set them to large after a YPAO run.

Another one I experienced was that the results told me my speakers are out of phase when I know they are not.

Have you re run the YPAO setup?

3. lenny89

lenny89
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes twice same results and now i am getting my rear LR surround sound coming out my fronts LR but when i do the ypao run each speaker plays a sound when amp tells it to, am rather confused how this is happening

4. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,673
    If getting front audio via the rear speakers and visa versa then you've obviously got the speakers connected to the wrong terminals on the receiver. There's no other explanation for what you are experiencing.

Despite what was implied earlier, YPAO is relatively accurate. All it is doing is measuring the low frequency response of your speakers portrayed in your room. If YPAO measures a response below a certain frequency then the associated speaker will be automatically designated LARGE by the calibration. Don't regard the distance settings in terms of physical distances. What these settings actually determine is the delay that has to be added to the audio prior to output in order that the resulting audio reaches the listening position at the same time irrespective of which speaker it is output via. I'd suggest the reason for the distances settings you get as being the fact you are using downward firing ceiling speakers as opposed to forward firing speakers located at ear level. You'll not get distance settings that relate to physical distances with such a configuration.

All-in-all, I'd suggest you not use ceiling speakers and use conventional forward firing speakers located at your seated head height if wanting a correctly configured 5.1 setup. I'd also suggest that you simply designate all your speakers as being SMALL post YPAO calibration and use an 80Hz crossover in association with them.

5. lenny89

lenny89
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes but i have already installed all these and put new floors down ect, when ypao runs it test the sound comes out the correct speakers when it doing its test so they cant be wired up wrong? i went and done a youtube test 5.1 test and when they done the test no sound came out my rear LR but it did come out the fronts, i thought 5.1 setup would be good as its tidy no large speakers on the floor ect,

6. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,673
    YouTube can only include 2 channel stereo when it comes to audio and cannot convey 5.1 multichannel audio. You'd need to use an upmixing mode to create any additional channels in association with content accessed via YouTube, hence why you only got audio via the front 2 speakers without such upmixing being engaged.

7. lenny89

lenny89
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    unbelievable!! why so many videos of tests uploaded to youtube, i actually hear the rears working on netflix which is good so ypao mic has worked. i think i will just leave the way it sets it up if ppl swear by it i did notice the my centre is a little out if sync

8. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,673
    Many of those uploading 5.1 audio to YouTube are unaware that YouTube don't host more than 2 channels of audio and that YouTube downmix all multichannel audio formats into 2 channels. Your mistake is a common one made by many unaware of this.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018 at 1:30 AM