Yamaha rxa3080

DTKF

Novice Member
Hi guys. I’m looking to upgrade my pioneer vsx 933. Friend recommended me the Yamaha rxa3080. He told me it’s the best u can get for below 2k usd. The current amp on high volume I can hear the front speakers breaking. Was told the amp power is not enough to power it.

I did some research and it seems that the a3080 has been released for a couple of years and worried that I’m getting old tech. Any advice will be helpful. Tq

dante01

Distinguished Member
The A3080 has been discontinued and is being replaced by the Aventage A8 model. THe model below the A8 is very comparable to the A3080 and is the A6. THe main difference with the new models is the inclusion of HDMI version 2.1, but if not a gamer wanting to passthrough 4K 120Hz video then this shouldn't really be an issue and even if you are, you can simply connect a console directly to a compliant display, pass the audio through the TV and output it to an A3080 via eARC.

Despite its age, the A3080 still includes everything you'd need. The only thing missing would be HDMI version 2.1.

DTKF

Novice Member
The A3080 has been discontinued and is being replaced by the Aventage A8 model. THe model below the A8 is very comparable to the A3080 and is the A6. THe main difference with the new models is the inclusion of HDMI version 2.1, but if not a gamer wanting to passthrough 4K 120Hz video then this shouldn't really be an issue and even if you are, you can simply connect a console directly to a compliant display, pass the audio through the TV and output it to an A3080 via eARC.

Despite its age, the A3080 still includes everything you'd need. The only thing missing would be HDMI version 2.1.
Will there b a noticeable diff in terms of sound for movies and music if I upgrade to the a3080 from the pioneer vsx933?

dante01

Distinguished Member
They've different signature sounds to them. The Yamaha is detailed, but less clinical than what you'd get from a Pioneer receiver. The amplification is considerably better and will provide more power with better headroom. Whether you actually like the signature sound and the difference is only something you can appraise though. Most people like the Yamaha sound, especially relative to musical sources.

DTKF

Novice Member
so in short i guess the the a3080 is better in terms of value than getting the brand new a6a? just wanna make sure i can use it for the next 3 years without needing to change. btw.. hows the a3080 in terms of bass? as i really like to blast it :p ..... currently the a6a is priced 1500usd more than the a3080

dante01

Distinguished Member
The latest top tier models are very good and are totally redesigned in terms of both their looks and their internal circuitry. They are also expensive and as yet relatively hard to get hold of.

If you've the funds and if you want one then there's nothing wrong with the newer models. If you don't need HDMI version 2.1 though then there nothing wrong with the models they replace either.

The YPAO room EQ correction associated with Yamaha models is the weal link and its treatment of the lower end frequencies is often heavily critisised. The latest models go some way to address this so there should potentially be an improvement in terms of bass?

Last edited:

DTKF

Novice Member
The latest top tier models are very good and are totally rededigned in terms of both their looks and their internal circuitry. They are also expensive and as yet relatively hard to get hold of.

If you've the funds and if you want one then there's nothing wrong with the newer models. If you don't need HDMI version 2.1 though then there nothing wrong with the models they replace either.

The YPAO room EQ correction associated with Yamaha models is the weal link and its treatment of the lower end frequencies is often heavily critisised. The latest models go some way to address this so there should potentially be an improvement in terms of bass?
Just got the amp today. Was a pain to setup cause I’m a noob. Not the easier calibration as u need to manually select ur speakers settings. Took some time to get it correct. But once done, sounds good so far in every way. Heard they get better once it’s run in for a week? Not sure bout that haha. Now I’m itching to get a floor standing speaker and switch my aon2 bookshelf’s to surround. Sonus faber principia 7 is what I’m eyeing. Curious how it is to put the floor standing on a 1 feet shelf.

dante01

Distinguished Member
There's no reason to run an amplifier in. The only thing that would require a run in are new speakers if and when you first get them. There are no mechanical componentsvwithin an amplifier so what would you be running in? Speakers on the other hand have parts that move.

I'd not place floorstanders on a shelf. This would only raise the high frequency drive units (tweeters) above your seated head height. All the floor level speakers (excluding a powered sub or subs) need to be all ideally at your seated head height.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom