Yamaha RXA3060 very quiet

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by wardyworld, Mar 2, 2018.

Tags:
  1. wardyworld

wardyworld

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Just done a test fit of my 5.1.4 setup. Few things not right and not sure why:

Setup Yamaha rxa3060, set to 6 ohm minimum (I have monitor audio speakers, mixture of 6ohm and 8ohm). Ran through YAPO no issues detected, sound coming from all correct speakers.

Now setup to TV and Blu-ray. On -20db (about 3/4 volume on the amp) and you can hear it, you can hear the surround effects, but i would have thought it should have been super loud at this point. Speakers all set to 80hz on the avsetup screen.

Also the sub, it's a monitor audio gold w15. Setup using the included mic, very loud test tones. Now corrected to subwoofer 1 on the amp, very quiet (have to touch it to tell it's on).

Also have a Ruipro 10m hdmi cable that can do 4k, 10bit colour, etc. This from sky to TV allows 4k and 10 bit colour. If I connect to amp and connect a small 1m hdmi sky will only output as 1080p.

Can anyone help? I have no idea how to proceed. Had to disconnect everything as it's in our living room and will need to test again next week.

Cheers,

Wardyworld

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,120
    Your receiver is correctly calibrated. If not loud enough for you then increase the master volumee.

3. wardyworld

wardyworld

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Forgive me if this is a stupid question, be t is the master volume not just the big volume dial? Or have I missed something obvious?

Regards

Wardyworld

4. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,120
    Yes, it is the big dial.

If unsure as to whether or not the YPAO calibration set the speaker levels correctly then you'd need an SPL meter to check those levels. You'd need to go into the speaker configurations and turn the TEST TONE on. You'd then need to exit the test tone setting with it still set to on and then go into the LEVELS settings. Turn the master volume so it is set at 0db and each speaker should measure an SPL of about 80db as measured from your seated listening position. Ensure the meter is set to C weighting and slow response.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  5. wardyworld

wardyworld

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Thank you, that's really helpful. I dont think that the system was setup correctly, even at -16db it was not loud. I'm not saying I want it super loud all the time, but I would have thought compared to the various demos I've had it would have been a lot louder.

I still don't understand why the sub was so quiet, is this part of the test tones too?

Wardyworld

6. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,120
    Most of what is output by the sub is felt as opposed to heard. The sub will sound quieter than the speakers when you run the test tone.

I'd maybe suggest you run the YPAO calibration again if you think that it wasn't done correctly previously. Try mount the mic on a stand and I'd suggest you use the single point option as opposed to the multi point calibration.

7. Rambles

Rambles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,108
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. MrSpark

MrSpark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    I found my RX-A1060 to be a little on the quiet side. As suggested earlier, make sure you are set at 8ohms. The ‘fix’ for me was to increase the input level for the inputs that needed it. You can alter the avr input level +/- 6db

9. wardyworld

wardyworld

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Thanks for the input; I've fixed the 4k issue by setting the AV unit to mode 1 and installing a new cable, and changed the speakers setting back to 8 ohms.
    I'll wait until I've built the LCR TV wall before I try again with the speakers,. It I'll definitely give your suggestion a try, cheers.

I hope this all works, I was a bit overwhelmed but having read hundreds of pages of documentation (which really went against the man code) I think I've got a better idea of what to do.

Wall build is Monday, then will test the speakers again before I commit and plaster the walls and ceiling!

Cheers,

wardyworld

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  10. MrSpark

MrSpark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Lol, I always read the manual, unless it’s flatpack furniture of course :)

Remember to re-run YPAO once you’ve plastered the walls. Plaster will effect how sound is absorbed/reflected. In fact run YPAO once you’ve got the whole room finished, including seating.

11. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,540
    HDMI - do you have one or two Display devices connected to the AVR?

Wall - ensure you give yourself an easy way to replace ay failed, damaged or obsolete HDMI cables

Joe

12. wardyworld

wardyworld

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Just one hdmi from output 1 on the av receiver going to hdmi 3 in (arc) on the TV. This is one of your (very nice) 10m Ruipro cables. The source end is plugged into the amp and the display end is plugged into the TV.

I've channelled the wall, installed some white conduit and exited the hdmi via brush plate. I've run two cat6 cables through ceiling behind TV too for future connectivity.

I think / hope I've done everything correctly!

I just want to get the speakers installed now and try and get the output levels sorted!

Cheers

Wardyworld

13. MrSpark

MrSpark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Any reason for using tug ARC enabled HDMI in on your TV? Have you checked that this is the best HDMI input for 4K?

14. wardyworld

wardyworld

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    HDMI ports 2 and 3 are 4k, 4:4:4 output so I think this is correct. I thought you had to use the arc input connection on the TV to connect to the amp, this way you only need a single hdmi connection from amp to TV?

I also thought that if I do it this way I will be able to get the Yamaha to allow the normal TV speakers to work for when I don't want to use surround sound?

15. MrSpark

MrSpark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    ARC is normally used if you want send an audio signal for you TV to the AVR. It sounds like you want your TV’s stereo output sending to your AVR, which should be fine. The only reason I asked was ARC implementations vary drastically between manufactures and HDMI revisions. It can catch people out :)

What model TV do you have?

16. wardyworld

wardyworld

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Got you, OK no worries. Its a Sony Bravia 65" A1 OLED.

I just want the ability to switch between the AV Receiver and the TV's built in speakers.

I'm sure from the guides and manuals i've read that I connect the Output 1 from the AVR to the HDMI Input 3 (ARC) on the TV

Cheers,

wardyworld

17. MrSpark

MrSpark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Looking at the manual and HDMI info. HDMI 2 or 3 are the best ones to use.. however the info isn’t provided in a clear way. Here’s an extract

HDMI IN 1, 2, 3, 4 (Support 4K resolution, HDCP 2.2-compatible)
    Video:
    4096 × 2160p (50, 60 Hz)*1*2
    4096 × 2160p (24 Hz)*1
    3840 × 2160p (50, 60 Hz)*2
    3840 × 2160p (24, 25, 30 Hz)
    1080p (30, 50,60 Hz)
    1080/24p, 1080i (50, 60 Hz),
    720p(30, 50, 60 Hz)
    720/24p
    576p
    576i
    480p
    480i
    PC Formats
    *1 3840 × 2160p is displayed when 4096 × 2160p is input.
    *2 HDMI IN 2 / 3 only.

18. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,540
    TV Audio - if you are using the TV as a ‘Source’ connect AVR ARC to TV ARC and enabled HDMI CEC control on both devices.

That should allow you to toggle the TV between its onboard Speakers and using the AVR + connected speakers.

CEC is not always reliable (you can hit control problems) have an Optical cable handy which can be installed between Optical Out on the TV and an Optical In on the AVR just in case you are forced to disable CEC (which will by default disable ARC on most systems).

Once you have your Loudspeakers installed you can start to configure the AVR - keep things simple to begin with and work your way through the Pioneer setup menu (I would do an AVR reboot back to Default so you know where you are starting from).

Joe

19. wardyworld

wardyworld

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Thanks Joe, can I just check that I'm connecting the Ruipro hdmi cable correctly:

The end that says "Display" goes to the TV and the end that says "Source" goes to the Yamaha AV receiver?

Also I have not reset the AVR, set it back to 8ohms and have the AVR outputting 4k properly now it's in "Mode 1". Am building the TV wall on Monday, so once done will run setup again.

Apparently I should also set all speakers to "small" even though I have the ma iw460x speakers (which are nearly a meter tall) and this will help with the subwoofer output. Lots to learn... I hope the second attempt at setup goes well, was a bit disheartened first time!

Regards

Wardyworld

20. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,540
    RuiPro - yes the ‘Display’ Connector goes to the TV.

Speakers - Small is relevant to the lower frequency Output of the Speakers rather than their Physical size.

Setting them to Small in the AVR simply rolls off the lower frequencies to the Sub - possibly at a higher frequency than the speaker is capable of.

There is nothing to stop you trying and comparing having the Speakers set as Small or Large - you won’t be able to toggle between the two modes, you would have to run the setup (set to small) listen for a day or two the rerun the setup (set to large) and compare.

You will have an option to run your speakers as Large for Music Playback (with or without the Sub) even if they are configured as small for TV/Movie viewing.

Joe

21. wardyworld

wardyworld

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Have bought an optical cable so that I can install it in the in wall conduit I've run in. Much easier now that trying to fish it through later and breaking the hdmi cable.

Thank all for the input, hopefully I'll have most of the wall built on Monday and can start test fitting speakers and get this system up and running

22. MrSpark

MrSpark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    My advice with the small or large setting is. If you know the exact spec of your speakers, select the size that’s appropriate. If you’re not sure, go with what YPAO says.

As Joe points out. If you are running without a sub, you’ll probably want your front L&R as large otherwise you’ll lose some of the low end.

23. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,120
    The general advise suggests that you should always set speakers as being SMALL irrespective of their size, their rated frequency handling abilities or the low frequency roll off as measured by the calibration. THX are a strong advocate for this as are Audyssey. Some of the reasoning behind this is explained here:

24. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,120
    If running without a sub then you'd not be given the option to set the front left and right speakers to anything other than LARGE. You would however be able to set the other speakers as being SMALL, but the associated crossover will be diverting frequencies at and below that setting away from those speakers and redirecting them to the front left and right speakers as opposed to a sub connected to the receiver's sub pre out.

25. MrSpark

MrSpark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    The RX-A1060 allows you to set Small or Large regardless of if you have a sub attached or not. Assuming you are using advanced web setup to adjust things that is.

26. wardyworld

wardyworld

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Have read all with interest. I'll set everything to small, 80Hz cross over as I'm running a subwoofer and see how it sounds.

Hopefully next week I'll have another test with much more of an idea on what I'm doing with the ab ab receiver!

27. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,120
    No it doesn't and no AV receiver does.

Set the SUBWOOFER setting in the Manual speaker settings to NONE and the FRONT speakers are automatically set to LARGE and the FRONT configuration option with which you'd determine the speaker size will be greyed out:

IMG_0125.jpg

Set the fronts to SMALL via the web control and the sub will automatically go from NONE to USE and again, if you set it to NONE then the FRONT speakers are automatically set to LARGE.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018