Question Yamaha RXA 1050 ARC volume problem

Cp500n

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have recently moved house and have just got round to setting up my AV system which consists of a Sony XE9005 49 inch tv connected to a RXA 1050 Receiver. The tv is brand new and the receiver is second hand. This is the first time I have used this system together.

I have connected them with HDMI to their respective ARC terminals. The problem is when watching standard TV through the system the volume is very low. I had it at over 2/3 volume to have what I could consider ‘normal’ tv volume and even at full volume it is not exactly loud.

I have played about with the settings and had a look for a solution online but so far no joy.

I would be grateful for any advice.

I have the same amp connected to LG B6. Normal volume is around 30, loud is 15. Have you run YPAO, what speakers are you using and what DSP.

I have the same amp connected to LG B6. Normal volume is around 30, loud is 15. Have you run YPAO, what speakers are you using and what DSP.

I’m using Q acoustics 2050 floor standers, 3000 centre, 2070si sub and ceiling mounted q65 for surround duties.

I tried different dsp but left it on ‘straight’ last night.

Haven’t used YPAO yet, only a manual play about with the setup.

I would say normal volume was around 22 and even at full volume it wasn’t loud.

I am still waiting on BT coming out to get us connected to broadband so I only have standard tv signal at the minute.

I would suggest running YPAO first which will set the correct reference levels for your room and speakers, then take it from there.
I wouldn't worry about the aerial strength.

I’m using Q acoustics 2050 floor standers, 3000 centre, 2070si sub and ceiling mounted q65 for surround duties.

I tried different dsp but left it on ‘straight’ last night.

Haven’t used YPAO yet, only a manual play about with the setup.

I would say normal volume was around 22 and even at full volume it wasn’t loud.

I am still waiting on BT coming out to get us connected to broadband so I only have standard tv signal at the minute.

22? Do you mean -22db?

The level will be determined by the level output by the TV. I've a A1050 and a SAmsung TV and I've no issues with the volume in association with the audio associated with the TV's Netflix and other apps.

As suggested, run the YPAO calibration so that all your speakers are levelled in association with a standardised reference level relative to your listening psition. It is only then that you'd be able to correctly apraise the volume levels you are getting. It is like the proverbial piece of string until you run the calibration.

Report back post calibration and state the master volume level you need to set the receiver to in order to get the listening level you are happy with. As it stands, I'd suggest this not to be an issue with ARC and simply a matter of the receiver not as yet being calibrated to account for your listening space and location within it relative to the speakers.

Ok I did the calibration and all the levels/ distances seem accurate. Bit of an improvement in tv volume when viewed through youview on the Sony tv. I would say normal listening around -28db.

I hooked up an external hard drive with Flac files on it and the sound/ volume levels were incredible. -30db was very loud so perhaps it’s just down to different sources.

Two further things:

- I have speakers in the kitchen which I have linked to the zone 2 terminals on the receiver and set up as per the instructions via the pre amp menu but whenever I press the zone 2 button nothing happens. The sound continues in zone 1 but nothing in zone 2.

- I have been through the DSP settings and can’t get the sub to work when listening to music or watching tv.

Sorry if these seem like obvious questions. I am still a bit of a newbie.

Two further things:

- I have speakers in the kitchen which I have linked to the zone 2 terminals on the receiver and set up as per the instructions via the pre amp menu but whenever I press the zone 2 button nothing happens. The sound continues in zone 1 but nothing in zone 2.

- I have been through the DSP settings and can’t get the sub to work when listening to music or watching tv.

Sorry if these seem like obvious questions. I am still a bit of a newbie.

What is the source that you are attempting to play in the second audio zone? The source audio has to be 2 channel in nature in order for you to be able to play it in the second audio zone. You also have to turn on the second zone and select a source for it to use. Both its standby status and source are independent of the main room. Press the ZONE @ button and then the stanby button to power on that zone. Now select a source for that zone. Press the MAIN button to once again control the main room. There's also an iOS and Android Yamaha control app that makes this a bit more intuative.

You'd need to configure the front left and right speakers as being SMALL and assign them an appropriate crossover point in order for the sub to be utilised in conjunction with audio that doesn't include a discrete LFE channel. You may find this article informative:

AV Receiver Bass Management Basics – Settings Made Simple

That’s great. I will give those suggestions a go today.

Thanks for the help.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom