1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha RX750 video-up quality.....

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Kamakazie, Apr 4, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Kamakazie

Kamakazie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Right im looking at using the video-up capability of this amp/reciever to send all my signals to the TV via a component lead.

Now if i use a certain setup I will have to go from RGB scart on my digibox to the amp.... i was thinking i could use a scart to svideo + 2 phono lead..... this signal would then be upscaled by the amp to a component source and sent via that.

My question as im not very technical with all this stuff... will the scart to svideo and phono be able to carry the RGB source? Will the phono plugs retain a decent sound quality? and After upscaling to the component source and uses svideo in will the picture from the digibox still be pretty good or is it going to look shoddy therefore making it better to just rgb scart to VGA or component on my display using a JS converter??

thanks

2. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The RGB signal cannot be sent via S-video unless using a signal converter. Using a SCART->S-video adapter would feed the composite signal from the SCART into the receiver, along with the red signal from RGB on the color pin. The result would in this case most likely be a black-and-white picture with visible patterning.

Using a JS Technology converter for turning the RGB signal into YUV component would be a better choice. Then you can either bypass the receiver or use it for video switching.

The RX-V750 does not upscale any signals. S-video and composite video are merely decoded and output in their native resolution through the component output.

If the digibox has a digital audio output, I would recommend connecting that to the amp as that would theoretically give superior sound quality to the analog outputs.

3. Kamakazie

Kamakazie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    thanks Zacabeb, glad i asked as from what i read on the 750 i gathered it did upscale but you've cleared it up for me.

The only problem with using a SCART>YUV is that then i tkae up my second component input on the 750 meaning if i decide to get a DVD recorder or some such thing i will have to imput that another way.... on the otherhand i wont be playing much with that as id record it to DVD to then play on the Denon player so i suppose this doesn't matter..... also i might be able to use the SCART passthrough on it and send signals via that from the DVD recorder if this works.

right think im gonna go for the JS method then, thanks!

4. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    you are mixing up the words
    upconvert and upscale
    the 750 does the first, but not the second

5. shaithis

shaithis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    The number of component inputs on the 750 was a factor for myself also....

What I did for the DVD-Recorder is just connect it directly to the Sky box using SCART (RGB) and left the DVD player using the component (removed the DVD player recently tho due to space running out ;) )

There is also the Audio Authority 1154 component + audio (toslink and analog) switcher.....its not cheap but does a damn useful job well - I use it to auto-switch between my 3 consoles :clap:

6. Kamakazie

Kamakazie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    that looks pretty good shaithis, probably wont bother with it now but its certianly a good idea if i run out of connections in the future :)

7. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    shaithis,

Where did you purchase the Audio Authority kit ? (I want to do exactly the same as you!).

8. shaithis

shaithis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30